Transfer Equivalency Guide

Transferring to Drake:
Making sure your credits count

If you're thinking about transferring to Drake University, you're in good company: More than 15 percent of last year’s incoming class came from other institutions. We’re eager to help you leverage the credit you’ve already earned as you start working toward your Drake degree.

Below, you’ll find links to transfer credit guides for various community colleges. Each document below provides information in three sections:

  1. Course recommendations by the undergraduate colleges and schools at Drake;
  2. Summary of courses satisfying the Drake Curriculum (general education or core requirements); and
  3. Course-by-course comparisons.

When you enroll at Drake, you may transfer up to 94 academic semester credit hours for all majors except pharmacy, which accepts up to 178 credits. A maximum of 66 semester hours of credit may be transferred from two-year institutions. Up to 16 credit hours of career- or vocational-technical courses may be accepted at the discretion of the assistant or associate dean of the Drake college or school in which you want to enroll. A minimum of 30 semester hours must be completed while in residence to earn a Drake degree.

Note: These transfer of credit guides provide information on how courses offered by another institution correspond to courses offered at Drake University. Representatives from each undergraduate College and School determine how each course will apply toward your specific major and degree program at Drake.

Official transfer of credit evaluations are prepared automatically for students immediately following admission.

In the course-by-course section, the following designations are used:

  • EQUIVALENT COURSE—a specific Drake course number will appear when a course is considered to be similar in content to a specific Drake course. For example: ANTH 2 may be used to cite an equivalent course in cultural anthropology.
  • ELECTIVE—college transfer credit is granted; the course content is recognized as a college-level, however there is no direct equivalent at Drake. A course in this category may be used to fulfill required or elective course requirements as the college or school representative deems appropriate.
  • CAREER- or VOC-TECH—the course is part of a career- or vocational-technical program. A maximum of 16 semester hours of career- or vocational-technical credit may be granted by the college or school representative.
  • NO CREDIT—the course does not transfer to Drake University. Typically, courses with this designation are developmental in nature.
  • WITH VALIDATION—some courses may have limited application to specific equivalent courses taught at Drake as upper-division within the College of Business and Public Administration. A student must validate the course credit earned from another institution to demonstrate acquisition of knowledge. Three methods are used for validation: passing a higher level course at Drake within the same department, Challenge Testing, and CLEP examinations, when appropriate.

Course Equivalency Guides for Iowa Colleges

If your school is not listed below, use the DMACC guide as comparison for similar courses at your institution.

Drake img
Do Something Drake
Professional internships
Find Admission on ...