All SJMC majors must complete the Requirements for SJMC Majors. In addition, advertising majors must complete the courses outlined below. Note: Students enrolled before Fall 2014 must complete the Requirements for Students Enrolled before Fall 2014.
Required Advertising Courses
- JMC 57 Video Production – Introduction to radio and television production.
- JMC 76 Advertising Principles – Advertising as a marketing communications tool and socio-economic force. Introduction to relevant behavior theories and techniques of promotional communications as practiced by advertisers and agencies. Prereq: 15 credits
- JMC 113 Concepts in Consumer Awareness – Combines the introductory concepts of research, planning and media for advertising under the umbrella of consumer behavior. Prereq: JMC 54, 76
- JMC 124 Copywriting and Content Design – Introductory copywriting and layout course, exploring techniques for print, broadcast and Internet media. Audience differentiation, media and creative strategy all are considered. Emphasis is on concept development, persuasive writing, visualization & execution culminating in a portfolio presentation. Prereq.: JMC 54, 76 Co-req: 57 or 59
- JMC 145 Advertising Campaign Strategy – Analysis of marketing problems, research, expenditures, Planning and executing a complete campaign. Emphasis on development of advertising plans and strategies, media selection and creative execution. Prereq: Two of 117, 139 or 141
Select two of the following:
- JMC 117 Strategic Media Planning – Advanced topics of media planning. Preq: 40, 57, 59, 113 & Marketing 101
- JMC 139 Advertising Account Planning – Covers comprehensive advanced topics of research, planning and consumer analysis. Prereq: 40, 57, 59, 113, 124 & Marketing 101
- JMC 141 Strategic Message Design – Advanced writing and producing advertising and strategic messages for all media that are part of the integrated communication mix. The course focuses on cohesive strategies for actual clients. A professional portfolio is presented at the end of the semester. Prereq: 40, 57, 59, 113, 124 & Marketing 101
See the Forms page for downloadable checksheets.
Required Courses and Credit Hours Outside Major
All advertising majors must include in their programs Marketing 101, Economics 2 and Psychology 1.