Facilities

Anderson Gallery

The Anderson Gallery was established in 1996 as a dedicated exhibition space for contemporary art and design, hosting curated exhibitions, as well as student work. The 1800 square foot not-for-profit gallery is located on the first floor of the Harmon Fine Arts Center. All exhibitions and related events are free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Tuesdays through Sundays, 12:00 to 4:00 p.m with extended hours on Thursdays until 8:00 p.m. 

Carnegie Hall

‌‌

One of the 108 original libraries funded by the Carnegie Foundation of New York, this building is one of only seven Carnegie libraries donated to educational institutions. Carnegie Hall is recognized today in the National Register of Historic Places and houses Drake's Graphic Design program on the entirety of its top floor. Students have 24-hour access to two large advanced computer graphics labs with current industry software and hardware. In addition, there are dedicated spaces for manual processes, including letterpress, and a large gathering space that supports discussion and critique.

Harmon Fine Arts Center

Constructed in 1972, this building is dedicated to Henry G. Harmon, the seventh president of Drake University. Harmon Fine Arts Center (typically referred to as FAC) houses the Music, Theatre, and Art and Design departments as well as the College of Arts and Sciences administrative offices. FAC's flexible classrooms support a range of teaching methods, and the building contains dozens of practice rooms and studios, three theaters, as well as the Anderson Gallery and the Turner Jazz Center.

Harvey-Ingham Hall

Drake University opened Harvey-Ingham Hall of Science in 1947, in response to the nation's call for top-of-the-line research following the second World War. Recent renovations have transformed Harvey-Ingham into a beautiful historical building containing state-of-the-art laboratories and study spaces for the sciences. The Departments of Chemistry and Physics and Astronomy are located here. A glass skywalk connects the building to Fitch Hall. (Learn more about Saarinen buildings on campus at the student-produced site, Building A Modern Campus).

Howard Hall

The Departments of English, Culture and Society, and Math and Computer Science are located in this red brick building. Originally built for Drake's Conservatory of Music, Howard Hall's stained glass windows are musically themed, and its current faculty offices were once practice rooms for Drake's budding musicians. Fun fact: the brass numbers 21-42 imbedded in the cement sidewalk were donated by the classes of 1921-1942.

Medbury Hall

Originally constructed for Drake's Bible College (later known as the Divinity School), this building now houses the Philosophy and Religion and Law, Politics and Society departments, along with Drake's Honors Program. Medbury's architect Eero Saarinen believed that architecture should "stimulate man's imagination or give man confidence or make him feel proud," and this building's use of light and space make the designer's intentions evident. The building's spacious lounge continues to foster community and learning by providing a space for everyday interactions. Medbury Hall is connected by a covered walkway to the Oreon E. Scott Chapel. (Learn more about Saarinen buildings on campus at the student-produced site, Building A Modern Campus).

Meredith Hall

Now the location of our Politics and International Relations, History, and World Languages and Cultures departments, this 1965 Mies van der Rohe building's design and construction confirmed the University's desire to create a campus showcasing distinguished modern architecture.

Olin Hall

Renovations in 2010 created cutting-edge laboratory spaces with latest equipment and a glass atrium for student study. The four floors of Olin Hall house departments of Biology, Psychology, and Environmental Science, as well as classrooms, laboratories, the Pioneer Hi-Bred International Greenhouse and Environmental Instructional Facility.

Sheslow Auditorium

This beautiful 775 seat facility is used for concerts, recitals, guest speakers and campus programs. When Sheslow Auditorium was renovated in 1992, 35 tons of plaster were applied to the ceiling by hand, and its striking stained glass windows restored to their original luminosity.

Studio Arts Hall

The Department of Art and Design's Printmaking and Sculpture studios are located in Studio Arts Hall, or STAH. Students have 24-hour access to a spacious, well-equipped printmaking studio where a full range of relief, intaglio, and lithographic techniques are taught. The sculpture studios support a comprehensive range of three-dimensional art making through separate studios for woodworking, metal fabrication, casting and installation. Students have access to the sculpture studios outside of class time with a studio assistant present for instruction and guidance with equipment.

Patty and Fred Turner Jazz Center

This state-of-the-art performance, rehearsal, and recording facility was built in 2011 to serve as the home for Drake's expanding jazz program. The Turner Jazz Center hosts master classes, concerts, and clinics presented by visiting jazz luminaries. This venue is an intimate club-style setting, designed for approximately 100 patrons.

A&S Events
September 19, 2014
07:30 PM - 09:00 PM
September 23, 2014
07:00 PM - 08:00 PM
September 26, 2014
03:30 PM - 05:00 PM
A&S News
September 19, 2014
Thomas R. Rosburg, professor of biology at Drake University, will deliver the 30th Annual Luther W. Stalnaker Lecture on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at 7 p.m. in Sheslow Auditorium.
×