Drake University is dedicated to supporting students, and promoting an environment where students, staff and faculty feel comfortable making a CARE referral when they are concerned about a student.
A CARE referral is a “heads up” to the Dean of Students staff and the case manager that you think a student could use some extra support and outreach.
Before you make a referral, note that CARE referrals are not for emergencies. Call Drake Public Safety at 515-271-2222 or 911 for emergencies.
What am I reporting?
Some common areas of concern from students, staff and faculty are:
- Academic concerns related to performance or attendance
- Concerns related to physical health, illness or injury
- Emotional and mental health
- Safety concerns (non-emergency)
- Personal issues (not Code of Conduct violations)
What is the CARE referral process?
- Submit the referral online. If you need assistance, stop by the Division of Student Affairs Office, 203 Old Main.
- The Associate Dean of Students, case manager and Assistant Dean of Students receive a notification from the sender of the CARE referral. Notifications are checked between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday when the university is in session.
- The case manager and/or other staff members will assess the situation, and a member of the Drake staff, faculty, and/or administration will follow up with the student within two business days. Information is shared on a need-to-know basis in accordance with FERPA.
What is a case manager?
The case manager triages CARE referrals and provides outreach and support to students. A student might find it beneficial to meet with the case manager if:
- They want to learn more about the campus resources and services at Drake.
- Their life has become more difficult to manage, and it is impacting their academics.
- They know they need help, but are unsure of where to begin.
The case manager can:
- Provide early assistance and outreach to individuals in distress.
- Support the student by connecting them to both campus and off-campus resources.
- Work collaboratively with faculty, staff, administration, and other concerned individuals.
Contact the case manager, Leah Berte at 515-271-2917 or Leah.Berte@drake.edu for an appointment.