Skip Sub Menu

Resources for Families & Guardians

Families offer a valuable perspective in helping support the student of concern. Families are encouraged to submit a CARE referral when they feel there is a significant concern. Before you submit a referral, please have a conversation with your student.

Conversation Starters

Are you unsure of how to address your concerns? Below are a few suggestions that may help direct your student to available campus resources and empower them to reach out for assistance.

  • "Do you have anyone on campus that you think could be helpful to you right now?"
  • "Have you visited any of the offices and/or your advisor/Hall Coordinator?" (insert resources)
  • "I would like to submit a CARE referral so a staff member can help guide us to resources."

Some common areas of concern we see from families are the following:

  • Academic concern related to performance or attendance
  • Safety concern
  • Student Counseling referral
  • Student Disability Services referral
  • Student Health referral (illness, injury)

Resources are available to students both on and off campus. Helpful resources can be found under Campus Services on the Information for Parents page.

CARE referrals are not for emergencies. In an emergency, call Drake Public Safety at 515-271-2222 or 911.

Submit a CARE Referral 

Other Resources