Academic Regulations

Credit Hour/Semester Hour

The credit hour or semester hour, terms used interchangeably, is the unit of instruction. One credit hour is constituted by a minimum of one hour of classroom or direct instruction and a minimum of two hours of out of class student work each week for a semester (or its equivalent). An equivalent amount of work (minimum three hours per week for a semester or its equivalent of combined direct instruction and outside of class student work) must be represented for a credit hour in other academic activities such as laboratory work, internships, practica, studio work and other academic work. Semester is defined as not less than 15 weeks. Courses offered in shorter timeframes must have an equivalent number of hours dedicated to instruction and student work as that spent in a semester-based class.

Student Classification

First-year student/freshman entering directly from high school — fewer than 30 credit hours

Sophomore — 30 to 59 credit hours

Junior — 60 to 89 credit hours

Senior — 90 credit hours and above

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is expected of all students, although the specific attendance policy in each course is determined by the instructor. Information on the attendance policy of each college and school is available in the deans’ offices or college/school Web site.

Grade-Point Average

The minimum requirement for the degree is a cumulative GPA of 2.00 "C" for all work attempted at Drake University.

Grade points are earned on the following basis: four grade points for each credit hour completed with a grade of "A"; three grade points for each credit hour completed with a "B"; two grade points for each credit hour completed with a "C"; one grade point for each credit hour completed with a "D"; and no grade points for a grade of "F" (Failure).

Transfer college work earns credit only and is not included in computing the Drake University cumulative GPA.

The GPA is determined by dividing the number of grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted. Grades of "F" are computed in the GPA, but no credit toward graduation is earned. Only passing grades ("A", "B", "C", "D", "Cr.") are used to award graduation credit.

A student may repeat a course. Only the highest grade and credit hours are used in computing the student’s cumulative GPA. Lower grades removed from the computation by a student repeating a course appear on the permanent record marked by a designated symbol. Students cannot remove unsatisfactory grades received at Drake by repeating those courses at other institutions and transferring the credit to Drake.

Students should be aware that most law schools and many graduate schools recompute a student’s GPA in such a way as to count all grades received and not just the highest grade earned for a course.

The mark “I” (Incomplete) indicates a student has not submitted all evidence required for a final grade. The student must make satisfactory arrangements with the instructor to complete the work by the end of the next semester of enrollment (excluding enrollment in summer terms). The instructor writes out the conditions that must be met to remove the incomplete. As a component of these conditions, the instructor may demand an accelerated deadline (the midterm of the following semester) or may provide an extended deadline if special circumstances warrant (a semester abroad, student teaching, etc.). The instructor will indicate online the final grade for the course in the event the work is not completed. A copy of conditions that must be met to complete the course is also given to the student. Marks of incomplete are changed to a final grade either by the instructor (upon completion of the work) or by the Office of Student Records (upon attaining the specified due date). Marks of incomplete are not computed in the GPA.

The mark of “IP” (In Progress) may be given in certain courses where special conditions make the grade of Incomplete unrepresentative of the status of the students at the close of the semester. The grade of “IP” is appropriate only when the coursework could not be finished during the semester for the entire class (e.g., internships, practicums or courses that do not fit the standard academic calendar; fieldwork or research presentations that may take place after a semester has ended; theses or dissertations; or other special situations where coursework extends beyond one semester). A grade of "IP” must be changed to a final grade by the instructor by the end of the next semester. The instructor must indicate to the appropriate dean’s office in what courses students will be assigned an “IP.”

A student may not graduate/earn a degree from Drake University with an "I" (Incomplete) or an "IP" (In Progress) notation on his/her transcript.

The mark of “AU” (Audit) is recorded in place of a letter grade or credit hours in courses when the instructor and dean have consented to such enrollment. Students who audit classes are not required to take part in discussions or complete examinations. If the attendance requirements are not completed to the satisfaction of the instructor, a permanent record of the enrollment is not retained. Courses taken for audit are charged the same fees as courses completed for academic credit.

Students intending to enroll in a course on an audit basis must indicate this intention at the time of registration. Students wishing to change from a credit to an audit basis during the semester must have the approval of the instructor, the adviser and the dean, and must do so no later than the midpoint of the semester or, in the case of a short course, no later than the midpoint of that course.

Credit/No Credit Program

After achieving sophomore standing, a student may elect to register for a maximum of 12 credit hours of work (of the total 124 credit hours required for the degree) on a credit/no credit basis. Neither the “credit” nor the “no credit” grades are included in the student’s cumulative GPA.

The student may elect to take any course in the University as credit/no credit which is open to students who meet the usual standards for admission to the course except a course that satisfies basic requirements, or a primary or related course applying to the major. Not more than seven credit hours may be taken in a semester on this basis. A student receives credit for a course in which the student earns the equivalent of the grade of "C" or better.

The student must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 before registering for a course on a credit/no credit basis. A senior with at least a 2.00 cumulative grade-point average is eligible to take a maximum of two courses in a semester on a credit/no credit basis, provided the adviser has approved the arrangement.

Although the University requires that a student indicate at the time of registration that a specific course is being taken on a credit/no credit basis, some exceptions are made allowing students to change from credit/no credit grading to regular letter grading — or from regular letter grading to credit/no credit grading — until the midpoint of the semester, or, in the case of a short course, no later than one week following the midpoint of that course.

Students should be aware that most law schools and many graduate schools recompute a student’s GPA in such a way as to count courses graded “no credit” as “F” grades.

Visiting students from other institutions may elect to register for undergraduate courses on a credit/no credit basis.

President’s List and Dean's Lists

The President’s List and Dean's List are announced after each fall and spring semester of the academic year. The President’s List includes the names of all undergraduate students who have satisfied certain other requirements and earned a GPA of 4.00. The Dean's List include those undergraduate students with similar qualifications in each college and school who have achieved a GPA of 3.50 and above.

Appeals On Academic Evaluation

The appeal for a change in grade is handled through the college or school in which the course in question is offered. The appeal process for students who question a final grade in a course is to discuss the matter with the instructor; then with the department chair, if the matter is unresolved; and, finally, with the dean of the college or school.

Academic Integrity Policy

  1. Each college/school has an Academic Integrity Policy Committee:
    1. to propose policies for dealing with problems of academic dishonesty including but not limited to plagiarism and cheating, and to ensure that these policies and procedures are consistent with University policies and procedures;
    2. to implement policies and procedures for dealing with academic dishonesty; and
    3. to review appeals from academic evaluations associated with academic dishonesty. (For more information, see Suggested Hearing Guidelines.)
  2. Academic dishonesty is an encompassing term involving any activity that seeks to gain credit for work one has not done or to deliberately damage or destroy the work of others. Plagiarism is defined as misrepresenting another’s ideas, phrases, discourse or works as one’s own. Cheating is defined as the act, or attempted act, of giving or obtaining aid and/or information by illicit means in meeting any academic requirements, including examinations. (See “Examples of Academic Dishonesty”.)
  3. The composition of the committee is determined by each college/school with consideration given to including both faculty and students.
  4. The penalty for academic dishonesty will vary from incident to incident, depending upon the scope and magnitude of the offense and the circumstances in which it occurred; upon the prior record of the person being penalized; and upon evidence suggesting the existence or absence of a pattern of academic dishonesty in the academic performance of the person committing the offense.
    1. If it is determined by the instructor that the student is guilty of academic misconduct, it is the prerogative of the instructor to assign the appropriate penalty in the course.
    2. Included among the possible penalties that may be imposed by the instructor are a reprimand, grade reduction (including assignment of a failing grade) or dismissal from the course with a failing grade. All such actions must be reported by the instructor to the dean of the college/school in which the incident occurred. For information purposes, the dean should report the incident to the dean of the college/school in which the student is enrolled and may forward the case to the Academic Integrity Policy Committee for further action.
    3. The committee may make a recommendation to the dean concerning whether probation, suspension or dismissal from the University should be imposed.
  5. Each college/school must have procedures to be used by its committee to address appeals from actions taken as a result of an instructor’s determination that a student’s performance involved academic dishonesty.
    If, after appeal, it is determined that there is insufficient evidence of academic dishonesty, the instructor is bound by that finding and may only evaluate the assignment as to its content or other time-honored bases of academic evaluation.
  6. The appeals procedure must include provisions that address the following:
    1. how the appeals process is initiated, and by whom;
    2. a timetable, including the date by which an appeal must be initiated;
    3. steps to be taken in the appeals process;
    4. the nature of the documentation of evidence required or permitted;
    5. the rules applicable in hearings if a hearing is required.
  7. The policies and procedures of the college/school in which the alleged offense occurs are applicable in each instance. In the event that the student is not a member of the college/school in which the alleged offense occurs, the dean of that college/school must report the offense and its disposition to the dean of the student’s college/school for further action, if appropriate. If a recommendation is made for probation, suspension or dismissal from the University, this recommendation must be forwarded for final action to the dean of the college/school in which the student is enrolled. A copy of the recommendation and subsequent action by the dean of the student’s college/school must be sent to the provost.
  8. College/school policies and procedures must be consistent with University policies and procedures. In the event of inconsistencies, University policies and procedures shall prevail.

Suggested Hearing Guidelines: These are suggested guidelines that may be refined in each instance, if the college/school desires, in consultation with the legal counsel of the University.

  • The hearing shall be informal, and formal rules of evidence need not apply.
  • The hearing shall be private; it shall be attended only by the members of the committee, the student and the instructor; there may be advisers for the committee, the student and the instructor, and when called, witnesses for the parties. However, a party’s adviser may not serve as a witness.
  • At the request of either party or the committee, the proceedings shall be tape-recorded. A written transcript shall not be required.
  • The hearing shall begin with the presentation of an opening statement by the instructor, summarizing concisely the basis of the actions taken or the practices at issue.
  • The student shall then present an opening statement, summarizing concisely the basis for the appeal.
  • The instructor may then support his/her presentation by the testimony of witnesses and by other evidence. The student and the committee may question the instructor and the witnesses; the student’s adviser or counsel may not question the instructor or the witnesses.
  • The student may support his/her presentation by the testimony of witnesses or other evidence. The instructor and the committee may question the student and the witnesses; the instructor’s adviser or counsel may not question the student or the witnesses.
  • At the close of the evidence presented by the student, the instructor shall be given the opportunity to introduce rebuttal testimony, which must be limited to any matters that have been raised in the testimony presented by or in behalf of the student.
  • After all evidence has been presented, the instructor may make a final argument, after which the student may make a final argument.

Examples of Academic Dishonesty: Examples of academic dishonesty include, but are not limited to:

  • copying from another student’s paper, laboratory report or other report or computer files and listings;
  • using, during a test or laboratory experiment, material and/or devices not authorized by the person in charge of the test;
  • without the instructor’s permission, collaborating with another, knowingly assisting another or knowingly receiving the assistance of another in writing an examination or in satisfying any other course requirements;
  • incorporating into written assignments materials written by others without giving them credit, or otherwise improperly using information written by others (including that which might be stored on computer disks or other technological devices); buying and submitting commercially prepared papers as one’s own;
  • submission of multiple copies of the same or similar papers without prior approval of the several instructors involved;
  • claiming as one’s own work that which was done by tutors or others with no mention of credit to or the assistance of those persons;
  • deliberately damaging or destroying another’s laboratory experiments, computer work or studio work;
  • knowingly obtaining access to, using, buying, selling, stealing, transporting or soliciting in its entirety or in part, the contents of a test or other assignment unauthorized for release;
  • substituting for another student, or permitting another student to substitute for oneself, to take a test or other assignment or to make a presentation;
  • intentional and unauthorized falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise;
  • forgery, alterations or misuse of University documents;
  • falsifying information submitted or failure to reveal relevant information in any University application form or offering any false information in any University disciplinary proceeding.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Policy: In this policy, the word “student” means an undergraduate student. The term “academic year” means any period of 12 consecutive months embracing two regular semesters, an interim term and two summer sessions. The “cumulative GPA” refers only to credits taken at Drake University. The provisions of Drake University’s probation and suspension policy are grounded in the philosophy that any student enrolled at the University should:

  1. maintain a level of grade performance that demonstrates that he/she can reasonably expect to attain the 2.00 cumulative GPA necessary for graduation;
  2. progress at a rate that permits graduation within five years of full-time enrollment or within six years for pharmacy undergraduates.

Procedures: Files of students subject to probation and suspension are reviewed immediately after grades are received from the Office of Student Records. Between the fall and spring semesters, when time is of the essence, assistant/associate deans may gather information before grades are processed by Student Records and begin a preliminary review.

Suspension decisions are made by the associate/assistant dean of each college and school. Before the final decision is made, input from various sources, including the student, adviser, professors and other relevant sources may be obtained. Students are suspended from the college/school and the University.

It is the college/school practice to mail suspension letters within 5 working days after grades are due from faculty. Suspended students are notified by certified mail, return receipt requested. A copy of the probation and suspension rules is attached to the letter or a reference to those rules is made in the letter.


  1. A student shall be placed on University probation if, at the end of any fall or spring semester, he/she:
    1. has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 after enrolling as a full-time student at the beginning of the semester; or
    2. in the first year of full-time enrollment fails to complete 20 credit hours of coursework, or in a subsequent year of full-time enrollment fails to complete 26 credit hours of coursework;
    3. has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 after attempting a total of 10 hours or more as a part-time student. Individual colleges and schools of the University may establish additional requirements for maintaining “good standing.” Such requirements, when they exist, are outlined in the relevant college/school sections of the catalog.
  2. A full-time student shall be continued on probation for one additional semester if he/she:
    1. has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 but at or above 1.50 after one semester on probation, and/or
    2. has failed to meet, but is making satisfactory progress toward, the credit hour requirements specified in Section 1b.
  3. A student shall be removed from probation if he/she:
    1. has a cumulative GPA of 2.00, and
    2. is a full-time student and has met the credit hour progress requirement specified in Section 1b.
  4. Any person who is currently paying tuition for a student may receive notification when that student is placed on probation and may receive copies of all successive communications related to the academic standing of the student until such time as probationary status is removed.


  1. A student shall be suspended from the University for at least one academic year if he/she:
    1. is a full-time student and has a cumulative GPA less than 1.00 after the first semester at the University, or
    2. is a full-time student and has a cumulative GPA less than 1.50 after one semester on probation, or
    3. is a full-time student and has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 after two consecutive semesters on probation;
    4. is a full-time student and, after one academic year on probation, has failed to meet, or after one semester on probation has failed to make satisfactory progress toward, the credit hour progress requirement specified in Section 1b;
    5. is a part-time student and has a cumulative GPA less than 2.00 after attempting an additional 10 credit hours after being placed on academic probation.


  1. A student who has been suspended from the University may petition for readmission during the last regular semester of the specified term of suspension to the dean of his/her college or school. The student may not enroll at the University for at least one year from the time of initial suspension or until the term of suspension has expired.
  2. A student readmitted after suspension remains on probation until he/she has met the requirements for removal from probation as specified in Section 3 of this policy statement. The student shall be suspended from the University again for at least one academic year if he/she has not met the requirements specified in Section 3 after one year of re-enrollment.


  1. A student may appeal the suspension decision to his/her associate/assistant dean; then to the dean of the appropriate college or school; and finally to the provost of the University. The appeal must be in writing with supporting documentation attached. A personal interview may be granted as well.
  2. A student who successfully appeals may be granted the privilege of re-enrollment subject to terms and conditions specified and agreed upon by the student and associate/assistant dean.
  3. These statements reflect the policy and practice in each of the undergraduate colleges and schools. A student who may be subject to probation or suspension should contact the appropriate associate/assistant dean for additional information.

Withholding Transcripts

End-of-term grade reports are not withheld from students because of financial indebtedness. However, “holds” are placed on the release of permanent records (transcripts). Transcripts will not be released by the Office of Student Records until satisfactory arrangements have been made by the student with the office that has placed the hold on the record. A student is promptly notified by the Office of Student Records if there is any reason why that office cannot comply with the request to release his/her transcript. The student should resolve this matter by contacting the appropriate office(s).

Policy on Probation and Intercollegiate and Major Leadership Activities

Any student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better in order to represent the University in intercollegiate or major leadership activities. Consequently, a student on academic probation may not represent the University in such activities. This includes but is not limited to intercollegiate athletics and mock trial competition, noncredit fine arts performances, elected student government positions, residence life positions and student ambassador or peer mentor positions.

Once a student is removed from academic probation, he/she may again represent the University in intercollegiate and major leadership activities. Student organizations within the University are encouraged to adopt a similar policy for persons in or aspiring to leadership positions in such organizations.

Any student who is on probation or is having academic difficulties that might lead to probation is encouraged to contact the associate or assistant dean of his/her college and/or the Vice Provost for Academic Excellence and Student Success who will assist the student in obtaining additional academic support services.

Curricula Modification

Modifications of the required curricula may be made only on the recommendation of the student’s adviser and the dean of the college or school. Reasons for such modification include: (a) transferring from another college or university; (b) bypassing of basic courses by scoring satisfactorily on special examinations.

Credit is given only for courses in which the student has been regularly enrolled or for courses in which the student has scored satisfactorily on special examinations. A student who receives a satisfactory score on a special examination receives credit for the course but does not receive a letter grade.

Adding/Dropping a Course

A student may add a course through the end of the first five class days of each semester or, in the case of a short course beginning later in the semester, may add the course before the second class-meeting of the course.

The time during which a student may drop from a class with no mark of ‘W’ recorded and a full tuition refund (if appropriate) is as follows:

  • Courses offered in a standard format during the fall or spring semester – intent to drop must be submitted to the college/school dean’s office or to the Office of Student Records by the end of the 10th business day after the start of the semester.
  • Summer courses – intent to drop must be submitted to the college/school dean’s office or to the Office of Student Records by the end of the first business day following the first meeting of the course.
  • Weekend courses - intent to drop must be submitted to the college/school dean’s office or to the Office of Student Records as follows:
    • Classes that start with an evening session: by noon the day following the first evening session.
    • Classes that start with a full day session: by the end of the first day of class.
  • Online courses: the drop schedule conforms to requirements for corresponding term lengths; e.g. in courses that are scheduled in a standard semester format intent to drop must be submitted by the end of the 10th business day after the start of the semester. In classes scheduled to last for 3 to 6 weeks, intent to drop must be submitted by the end of the second business day after the class begins.

Intent to drop must be filed using the procedures specified for the type of course and term in which it is offered:

  • For courses meeting during the day on campus, intent to drop a course must be filed with the college/school dean’s office or with the Office of Student Records and Academic Information by the time specified above.
  • For online courses and weekend courses intent to drop may be handled in one of the following ways (the intent must be in text form):
    • Submit a notice of intent to drop to the instructor.
    • Send an email to the Office of Student Records or to the office of the dean of the college in which the course is offered.

Attendance records will be used to verify attendance dates.

Withdrawal from a Course

When a student withdraws from a class after the “no W drop date” as specified above, but before the midpoint of the semester (or midpoint of a course that meets less than a full semester), the administrative mark of “W” is officially recorded. A student may withdraw from a course after the midpoint of the semester (or the midpoint of a course that meets less than a full semester), only if the instructor or dean’s office finds extenuating circumstances that would make the assignment of the “W” appropriate. In cases of withdrawal from a course after the midpoint of the semester where extenuating circumstances were not identified, the instructor of the course will be responsible for assigning the grade earned by the student in that course.

  • In practice, for weekend students the end of the second full weekend accounts for 67% of the direct instructional time of a course. Withdrawal anytime between the start of day 2 of the first weekend and the end of day 2 of the second weekend should result in a ‘W’ on the academic record. Notices of intent to withdraw that are received after the second full weekend but prior to the third full weekend can be backdated in the system as appropriate to reflect the actual date that intent was submitted, and to meet this standard regarding aid eligibility.

Individual colleges and schools may have additional academic regulations that are stated under the “Specific Regulations” of that college or school in the catalog. Information on the academic regulations of the Law School appear in the Law School Student Handbook at

Withdrawal: The Impact On Financial Aid

Tuition Adjustments Based on Enrollment Changes (other than complete withdrawals)
A reduction of credit hour enrollment within the time specified for dropping without a mark of ‘W’ for the term length and type of course may occur without tuition penalty. After the “no W drop date”, a change from full-time to part-time status or a reduction in credit-hour enrollment, other than a complete withdrawal, will not change tuition charges. For example, a student enrolled full-time will receive no tuition adjustment if he or she drops below full-time enrollment after the no ‘W’ drop date.” Tuition adjustments for increased enrollment continue throughout the term.

Financial Aid Adjustments

Changes in Enrollment (other than complete withdrawals)
Financial aid may be adjusted until the “no W drop date” based upon changes in enrollment and changes in tuition and fees. Eligibility for financial aid for increased enrollment is not "automatically" calculated with an enrollment change. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Planning to discuss changes in enrollment and financial aid eligibility.

A student who withdraws from courses, repeats courses, receives incompletes in courses or takes noncredit courses may not be able to complete the number of credit hours required for satisfactory progress; therefore, the student may be jeopardizing his/her financial aid by withdrawing from or repeating courses, receiving incompletes in courses or taking noncredit courses.

A student may withdraw from the University at any time during a semester, up to and including the last day of class, by obtaining the consent of the dean of the college or school in which the student is enrolled. The application for withdrawal must document the extenuating circumstances that form the basis for the requested withdrawal, such as a serious illness or a family emergency.

Upon approval of the withdrawal, the student’s transcript records the courses in which the student was enrolled that semester as well as the notation “Withdrew” and the date of the withdrawal. If the student leaves the University without obtaining the consent of the dean of the student’s college or school, the student’s transcript records the courses in which the student was enrolled that semester and the grades assigned by the instructors.

Students who are working to pay all or most of their expenses in college are advised not to carry more than 12 credit hours each semester. Students who are below a 2.00 GPA for the previous semester may be required, at the discretion of the dean of the college or school, to carry proportionately reduced programs.
Individual colleges and schools may have additional academic regulations that are stated under the “Specific Regulations” of that college or school in the catalog. The academic regulations for graduate students are stated in the Graduate Catalog. Information on the academic regulations of the Law School may be obtained by writing to the dean of the Law School.

FERPA Policy Statement

The Provost’s Office and its various subdivisions maintain student education records as an integral part of providing student services. All student education records and the information contained therein are subject to the provisions of the federal privacy act known as the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) and, subject to exceptions stated in FERPA, are not available for inspection by others without a written release from the student unless the person making the request is a University faculty or staff member with legitimate educational interests. Such personnel might include a faculty adviser, professor, dean or a counselor. Parents may or may not be excluded from seeing their student’s education records or receiving information from the records without a release signed by their student, depending on the applicable provisions of FERPA (see “Special Note from the Provost”).

Student Right to Review Education Records

Generally, students may inspect their own education records at any time the record keeping office is open. Prior notice is required to inspect your own file as inspections are done under the supervision of the office staff. Students may copy the contents of their own education records, although if the file is extensive there may be a reasonable copying charge. The following restrictions apply to student review of education records:

  1. Students may not see their parents’ Financial Aid Form or other financial records.
  2. Where records involve two or more students, the student may view only that part of the record that pertains to him/her.
  3. Students do not have a right to access records of instructional, supervisory or administrative personnel if those records are kept in the sole possession of the maker and are not accessible or revealed to any other person except substitute personnel.
  4. Students do not have the right to access or review the records of Campus Security if the records were created for the purpose of law enforcement.

In all cases where access to records is denied, the student and supervisor of the record shall attempt to informally resolve the matter. If the situation is not resolved in this manner, then the Provost, or his/her designee, shall make a final and binding decision regarding access after reviewing the arguments for access and denial of access.

If students find objectionable material in their files, they should call it to the attention of the supervisor of that record and if the supervisor agrees, the material can be deleted or amended. If the supervisor of the record does not agree to a student’s suggested deletion or amendment after the student has had a chance to present all evidence in his/her favor, then the student may add additional or explanatory material to the file, which will be kept as part of the educational record.

University files pertaining to students are normally purged after five years, although each department and College follows its own procedures.

Directory Information

FERPA also prevents the University from releasing certain information about students to persons outside the University without first notifying the student.

Drake University may release the following “directory information” about each individual student without prior consent unless the student has previously requested these records be withheld:

  1. Student’s name, local address, telephone number and e-mail address
  2. Parent’s name, address and telephone number
  3. Date and place of student’s birth
  4. College/school of enrollment
  5. Curriculum (major field of study)
  6. Year in School
  7. Participation in recognized organizations, activities and sports
  8. Weight and height of members of athletic teams
  9. Degrees and awards received
  10. The most recent previous educational institution attended by the student.
  11. Job title(s) and Date(s) of employment held while enrolled as a student.

Any student not wanting the above-referenced “directory information” released to the public must timely notify the appropriate office. Forms are available from the Office of Student Records and Academic Information. A notice remains in effect until the student requests lifting of the hold in writing.If personally identifiable information is removed from education records, they can be disclosed without student notification.

Personally identifiable information other than directory information can be released without prior approval under the following circumstances:

  1. contractors, consultants, volunteers, and other outside service providers used by a school district or postsecondary institution to perform institutional services and functions. A contractor (or other outside service provider) that is given access to education records under this provision must be under the direct control of the disclosing institution and subject to the same conditions on use and redisclosure of education records that govern other school officials;
  2. a school district or postsecondary institution may disclose education records, without consent, to officials of another school, school system, or postsecondary institution where a student seeks or intends to enroll;
  3. organizations, including state or federal education agencies, conducting studies for, or on behalf of the disclosing institution for purposes of developing, validating, or administering predictive tests; administering student aid programs; or improving instruction;
  4. Ex parte court orders under USA Patriot Act, or other lawful subpoenas;
  5. As part of a health or safety emergency.

Special note from the Provost on University Policy concerning release of student education records to parents and guardians:
Generally, it is Drake University’s policy to request a signed consent from the student before the University will release the student’s education records (including grades) to parents. The University treats students as adults and encourages parents to become partners with their students. The University believes that this approach reinforces the importance of autonomy and accountability in student development.
There is no law forbidding students from voluntarily sharing all their information with parents after the student receives it from the University, and no consent form is required for such voluntary sharing between student and parent.
Under the following special circumstances, the University may release student education records to parents or others without student consent:

  1. In an emergency, federal law (FERPA) allows the University to contact parents and other appropriate persons and disclose the information necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons;
  2. FERPA allows the University to disclose to parents or legal guardians information about their students’ violation of any federal, state or local law, or any rule or policy of the institution governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance, if (a) the student is under the age of 21; and (b) Drake determines that the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to such use or possession of alcohol or controlled substances;
  3. The University may disclose to parents or guardians a student’s education records or information therein to the extent necessary to process the student’s financial aid request and for such related purposes as to:
    1. determine eligibility for the aid;
    2. determine the amount of the aid;
    3. determine the conditions for the aid; and/or
    4. enforce the terms and conditions of the aid; and
  4. Finally, consistent with FERPA, if the student decides not to grant permission, then parents will have access to their student’s records if they can provide evidence that meets the “dependent for tax purposes” requirement. (A dependent is an appropriate relative or member of the taxpayer’s household who receives more than half of his/her support for the calendar year from the taxpayer. Scholarships are not taken into consideration. 26 U.S.C. § 152.)

The University’s policy regarding disclosure of student information to parents is explained to parents and students at summer orientation. The release form is available on the web through the Student Services tab in blueView (the campus web portal). A separate release form is required for each office from which information is requested.
Questions regarding FERPA, University policy or parental access to student education records can be addressed to the Office of Student Records and Academic Information, 515-271-2025 or to the Vice Provost for Academic Excellence and Student Success at 515-271-3751.

More information about FERPA can be found at

Adopted by the Faculty Senate, May 9, 2002
Supplemented by Provost to reflect University Policy concerning release of student education records to parents and guardians, November, 2007
Revised by Provost to reflect full FERPA disclosure details, January 2012

Drake University Student Complaint and Appeal Resources and Procedures

The Informal Complaint Process

For the informal complaint, please click here.

Officially Documented Complaints

For the officially documented complaints, please click here.

Today at Drake
University News
February 22, 2018
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) has publicly reaffirmed accreditation of Drake University for an additional 10 years.