Wednesday, September 25th, 2013
On Oct. 7, Drake University’s actuarial science program and the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences will host a round-table discussion on health care costs in collaboration with Aviva USA, EMC Insurance, Principal Financial Group, and PwC. This event is free and open to the public.
“Health care costs are increasing at an alarming pace and there seems to be no end in sight,” says Rahul Parsa, Principal Financial Group Distinguished Professor of Actuarial Science and Statistics at Drake University. “This begs several questions: what is the ‘true’ cost of health care, what are driving the costs, what can be done about it, and will the Affordable Care Act address these issues?”
The round-table discussion is bringing together experts from a variety of backgrounds, including insurance, actuarial science, pharmacy, medicine, and law. Richard Deming, medical director at the Mercy Cancer Center in Des Moines, will serve as the keynote speaker.
The participating experts are:
• Joel Ario, former insurance commissioner of Pennsylvania and director of the Office of Health Insurance Exchanges at the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS)
• David Hyman, H. Ross & Helen Workman Chair in Law, director of the Epstein Program in Health Law and Policy at the University of Illinois
• David Lyons, CEO of Co-Opportunity Health, and former insurance commissioner of Iowa
• Bill Leaver, CEO of UnityPoint Health
• Patrick Ryan, actuary at Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield
• Stephen Schondelmeyer, professor and head of the department of pharmaceutical care and health systems at the University of Minnesota
• Michael Thomson, principal of PwC
• Dawne Davenport, consulting actuary at Towers Watson
Visit www.meetpwc.com/DrakeRoundtableFall2013 for more information and to register.