Skip Sub Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links


Q. How do I contact Continuing Education and Professional Development?

A. Visit our Contact Us page, call 1-800-768-3224 option 1, or email 


Accessing blueView (Drake's Student Portal)

Q. Do I have a Drake Student ID Number? Where can I find it?
A. Every student taking courses through Continuing Education and Professional Development is assigned a Drake University student identification number. You will receive this 9 digit number via email the first time you are registered in the Drake University system. It is also found in the upper right hand corner of your transcript. If you cannot find your ID number, please contact our office and we can provide your ID number.

Q. What is my initial password?  
A. You are set up with a case-sensitive default password when you first register for a course, which is your birthdate in MmmDDYYYY! format.

For example, if your birthdate is January 1, 1980, then your default password is Jan011980!

NOTE: The last character in this initial password is always an exclamation point. 

Once you’ve logged in for the first time, you must change your password to something more secure. You can either click the Change your Drake password link at the bottom of the blueView secure login box, or you can go directly to the Password Change site at:

If you’re unable to gain access to blueView using your Drake ID number and default password, please contact the Support Center at 515-271-3001 or visit for additional information.

Q. How do I view my DRAKE Account?

A. Connect to the blueView portal at: You will need to use your Drake ID number and password (described above) to log in.  

Q. How do I change the contact information Drake has on file for me - phone number, address, or email address?
A. You may change your contact information within blueView by clicking on the MyDusis icon (found in the upper right toolbar in blueView). Then click on "Personal Information". 

Q. How can I check my Student Account?
A. Connect to blueView and click on the MyDusis icon (found in the upper right toolbar). Then click on "Student Services and Financial Aid" to view the following:

  • Student Records – Account Holds, Final Grades, Unofficial Transcript
  • Student Accounts- Account details, 1098-T tax notification.

Q. How can I get an official receipt for my courses?
A. Receipts for our coaching or physical education courses can be obtained by sending an email request to or calling 800-76-TEACH. In your request, please include your full name and Drake ID number.

Receipts for courses taken through an AEA, ISEA, or WDM Schools can be obtained by contacting or calling 515-271-3976.

Receipts for video courses for classroom teachers can be obtained by filling out a Help Request Form on the Quality Educational Programs website; the form is found at the bottom of the page on their website. 


Course Offerings

Q. Is Drake a fully accredited university?
A. Drake University has been on the approved list of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since that association was established in 1913. Since reorganization of the Association in 2000, Drake University has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association:

North Central Association
Phone: (312) 263-0456

All School of Education certification and endorsement programs are approved and accredited by the Iowa Department of Public Instruction, pursuant to Chapter 79, Code of Iowa.

Q. Do you offer online courses?
A. Yes. Please visit our Online Course page for a complete list of course offerings.

Q. Do you offer courses for coaches and physical educators?
A. Yes, we offer courses in DVD correspondence format and in an online format. Please visit our Coaching Courses page for a complete list of course offerings.

Q. What are the technology requirements for the DVD correspondence courses for coaches and physical educators?
A. Our video correspondence coaching courses require access to Adobe Acrobat or an equivalent pdf reader. All work must be word processed in the format provided in Microsoft Word documents.

Q. How many courses can I take at a time?
A. Students taking courses through the Continuing Education and Professional Development Department may register for up to 12 credits per semester. If you register for more than 12 credits, your money will be automatically refunded and you will be dropped from the course.

Q. What requirements are there if I want to teach in Iowa?
A. Go to the Iowa Department of Education homepage for complete information.

Q. Do you offer any degrees or certifications via distance learning?

A. None of our programs result in a degree or endorsement. Certifications are awarded in Quality Teaching and Learning and Online Teaching Pedagogy.  

Q. Will your courses be approved by my school district or my state's Department of Education? 
A. It is your responsibility to make sure that our courses are approved by your school district, Board of Education, or state Department of Education. If you need additional information about our courses to assist you in gaining approval, please contact our office.

Please note: At this time we cannot accept registrations from residents of the following states: Washington D.C. If you are a resident of one of these states please check back periodically as this list may adjust over time.

Q. Do your coaching courses count towards Pennsylvania's ACT 48 requirements? A. You must hold a Health or Physical Education Level 1 or 2 certificate in order for these courses to satisfy ACT 48 requirements.‌‌

Q. What are enrollment deadlines for Continuing Education courses?
A. Enrollment deadlines vary:

  • For degree and endorsement programs, preregistration must be completed two weeks before the first class date.
  • AEAs have different deadlines depending on the course offering. Check with your AEA to find their specific requirements.
  • Online courses have specific start and stop dates. Check our Online Course Offerings page for enrollment information.
  • Video course enrollments are continuous throughout the year. 

Q. Can I earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or Staff Development Units (SDUs) through Continuing Education and Professional Development?
A. No, Drake University School of Education awards Carnegie units of graduate credit only in semester hours. CEUs are offered by social service, nursing, or other organizations. SDUs are awarded by designated school districts and the 10 Area Education Agencies.

Q. What is an Area Education Agency (AEA) and what do they offer?
A. The K-12 public and private schools in Iowa are served by 9 regional service untis and AEA Professional Development Online. These agencies provide special education, staff development, and media services. Many have partnered with Drake University to offer graduate credit for their staff development offerings. For more information and links to each AEA, visit the Area Education Agencies webpage

Q. What other off-campus courses do you offer?
A. A listing can be found at the websites below:

Distance Learning -

AEAs, Online PD, ISEA, West Des Moines Schools –

Drake Catalog –

Q. How do I apply to take courses through the Continuing Education and Professional Development department?
A. You need not apply or be accepted to Drake University to take courses through our department. You may register directly through our website. If you are interested in pursuing a specific graduate degree or endorsement program however, please contact our Graduate Admissions Coordinator:

Valerie M Thacker
Graduate Admission & Accreditation Compliance Validator
Collier-Scripps Hall 221
2702 Forest Ave
Des Moines, IA  50311

To view graduate programs and endorsements, go to:

Q: How do Continuing Education and Professional Development (CPED) student, drop class(s)? (Video and online courses for Athletic Coaches and Physical Educators, PLS 3rd Learning and CEPD Online Courses, Video Courses Specific to Student Behavior and Academic Performance (QEP), Area Education Agencies, ISEA, and West Des Moines Community Schools)

A: If you registered through an Area Education Agency (AEA), ISEA, West Des Moines Community Schools, PLS 3rd Learning, or QEP, you should contact them directly. If you registered for courses specific to Athletic Coaches and Physical Educators or online courses developed by CEPD, please contact the CEPD Distance Learning Office directly at: or 1-800-76-TEACH (1-800-768-3224 option 1).


Correspondence Coursework Submission and Grading

Q. What if I have questions about the coursework? Is there someone who can help me?
A. Our staff can answer most questions about your coursework. Please contact our office at 1-800-768-3224 option 1 or If you have a more specific question we will put you in touch with an instructor or grader.

Q. How do I convert a Google Doc into a Microsoft Word document?
A. For step-by-step directions for converting a Google Doc into a Microsoft Word document click this link: Google Doc Conversion Document‌.

Q. Where do I find my course number?
A. It is important that you include your course number when you submit your completed coursework for grading. Click Course Numbers to find a listing of our courses and their numbers. 

Q. How long will it take for my coursework to be graded?
A. It can take up to 60 days for your coursework to be graded, so be sure to plan accordingly and allow enough time for the grading process.

Q. Can I get my coursework graded faster?
A. Yes. You can have the grading process expedited. For a fee of $90.00 we will have your grade in the Drake University system in five business days. To expedite your coursework click here to fill out the form and make your payment. PLEASE NOTE: Your coursework must be received in our office before you make the payment. Call our office with questions: 1-800-768-3224 option 1.

Q. Whom do I contact if I have a question about my Distance Learning grade?
A. Please contact Distance Learning at or 800-76 TEACH (800-768-3224) option 1.



Q. Will I automatically get a transcript?
A. Yes. All students in Continuing Education and Professional Development courses will automatically receive one official transcript free of charge for each completed course. Transcripts print the day after grades are entered and are mailed to your home address. If you have questions about your transcript, you can contact Student Records at 515-271-2025 or email them at:

Q. How do I get an additional transcript or request that my transcript be expedited?
A. Information about how to order additional transcripts, or request that your transcript be expedited and sent via UPS Next Day Air is available at: order your transcript you will need your Drake ID number. If you do not know your ID number please call us at 1-800-768-3224.


 Q. How can I print an unofficial transcript?

A. To print an unofficial transcript, link to MyDusis through blueView, click the “Student Services & Financial Aid” tab, and then click the “Student Records” link.

Q. How can I get a copy of all the classes I have taken at Drake?
A. You can request an official transcript at: or log into MyDusis through blueView to view and print an unofficial transcript in the “Student Services and Financial Aid” section.

Q. I took a course at the AEA, ISEA, or West Des Moines Schools and my grade was not on my Drake transcript. What should I do?
A. There may be several reasons your grade was not on your Drake transcript:

  • If your class is listed on your Drake transcript but there is no grade, grades may not have been submitted to Drake Continuing Education & Professional Development (CEPD) at the time of your request.                       
  • If neither your class nor grade was on your Drake transcript, your registration information and grade may not have been received at Drake Continuing Education & Professional Development (CEPD) at the time of your request.

Please contact Tracy Davies, 515-271-4824, for additional information.

Q: I see the phrase "Term in Progress" on my transcript. What does that mean?
A. Occassionally Extension Education students complete their course work and earn a final grade before the end date of the term for which they are registered. Consequently, the corresponding transcript displays the "term in progress" phrase to indicate that the transcript was printed before the end of the semester. The phrase has nothing to do with the validity of the final grade and is displayed only to indicate that it was printed before the semester's end date.


1098T Tax Forms

In order for Drake University to generate a 1098T (tax document) for you, we need your complete Social Security Number. To provide this information please complete Part 1 of the IRS form W9-S. For more information contact Student Accounts at 515-271-2151 or

For directions for logging in to blueView, please see Accessing your Student Account Information.

For questions about 1098T forms, contact Student Records

Drake University will provide information, upon request, to any person concerning charges and payments related to their own academic activity at Drake University, regardless of whether or not a 1098T statement was generated. However, under the provisions of FERPA, financial information is protected information that will not be released to any person, other than the student, without the student’s express written consent. Persons who must have this consent to obtain information include a spouse, parent, or tax preparer.

Other Resources

Q. How can I gain access to the Drake Cowles Library resources?
A. Log into blueView; go to the Libraries Tab (along top of page).  This gives you access to all of the electronic resources offered through Drake’s Cowles Library.

SOE News