Wednesday, March 12th, 2014
Drake’s 26th Annual College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Day was held on Thursday, March 6. The event, organized by students in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (CPHS), brought together current students, alumni, faculty, staff, and industry leaders to celebrate the 2014 CPHS award winners and discuss the Affordable Care Act.
Catherine Jacobson, president and CEO of Froedtert Health based in Milwaukee, Wis., served as the keynote speaker for the event. Her message, “The ACA: How We Got Here and Where We Go From Here,” shared insight on how to navigate the ACA and the ever-changing state of healthcare.
Three breakout sessions, led by the keynote speaker, health care professionals, and Drake faculty and staff, were offered in the afternoon. The sessions focused on the ACA and a number of other pharmacy and health care topics
Also at the event, CPHS announced the 2014 recipients of the following awards:
Hartig Distinguished Professor Award
• Bob Soltis, professor of pharmacology
Granberg Professional Leadership Award
• Charles Phillips, professor and assistant dean for assessment
2014 CPHS Teacher of the Year
• Abebe Mengesha, assistant professor of pharmaceutics
2014 CPHS Mentor of the Year
• Brian Gentry, assistant professor of pharmacology
Faculty Preceptor of the Year
• Ginelle Bryant, assistant professor of pharmacy practice and Penn Avenue Internal Medicine Clinic
Health Sciences Preceptor of the Year
• Meg Harris, Iowa Department of Public Health
IPPE Preceptor of the Year
• Greg Yeakel, Iowa State University Thielen Health Center Pharmacy.
APPE Preceptor of the Year
• Angela Boord, UnityPoint Iowa Methodist Medical Center
• Roberto “Bert” Iaderosa, Providence Medical Center
2014 Alumni Achievement Awards
• Tarannum Qureshi, PH’02
• Joshua Sandquist, PH’02
• Katie Suda, PH’99
• Bob Egeland, PH’79
2014 Young Alumni Achievement Award
• Justin Rash, PH’05
For more information, contact the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at 515-271-3018.