1.Q: Which Residence Halls will be open during J-Term?
A: J-Term housing will only be available in Goodwin-Kirk, Morehouse, Jewett and Ross halls. All other residence halls will be closed during the January Term.
2. Q: Who can live in the residence halls during J-Term?
A: Students who are registered for on-campus or partial on-campus J-Term classes who have signed up for housing in Goodwin-Kirk, Morehouse, Jewett or Ross or student who are on campus for official university business (for example, sophomore athletes whose teams are here during J-Term and have written approval from the Office of Residence Life) will be able to live in Goodwin-Kirk, Morehouse, Jewett or Ross during J-Term.
3. Q: If I am not registered for an on campus or partial on campus J-Term class can I live in my residence hall or access my residence hall room during J-Term?
4. Q: Is there an additional room and board fee for J-Term?
A: Yes. All students who have not met the residency requirement and are registered for an on-campus or partial on-campus J-Term Course will be assessed a non-refundable J-Term room and board fee.
5. Q. What is the room and board fee for those taking on-campus courses?
A. Room and board charges for J-term total $924. This fee will appear on either your November or December bill.
6. Q. What is the room and board fee for those taking courses that involve both travel and time on campus?
A. Students in classes that are partially on campus will be charged at a daily rate of $44 per day. The Room and board charges for J-Term courses that are partially on/partially off campus will be computed based on the number of days that are identified in the course syllabus as days when the students are required to be on campus for the course.
7. Q. If a travel seminar or partial travel seminar returns prior to the end of J-Term and the students are not required to be in Des Moines for the course, can students stay in their on-campus rooms until the spring semester begins?
A. Students in this situation will be given the opportunity to make such a request sometime in the middle of the fall semester (details forthcoming). If they make such a request they will be charged $44 per day from the day the trip returns to Des Moines until the end of J-Term. Students who do not make this request ahead of time will not be permitted to use their rooms.
8. Q: What is the definition of Drake’s residency requirement?
A: All full-time students must live in a Drake residence hall for the first two years out of high school. Exceptions include individuals who are married or live within a 45-mile radius of Drake University and have requested and received written approval from the Office of Residence Life to live off campus with a parent/legal guardian.
9. Q: If my parent/legal guardian lives within a 45 mile radius of Drake University, can I be a commuter student for the J-term session and live on campus for first and second semester?
A. Individuals requesting to be a commuter student and live with their parent/legal guardian for the J-Term session only, may do so without having contract breakage penalties or the J-Term room and board fees applied if requests are received and written approvals granted by the Office of Residence Life no later than May 1, 2013. Please be clear in your communication if you are only seeking commuter status for J-Term.
10. Q: If I am studying abroad during spring 2013 and will still be within two years of high school graduation and required to live on campus upon my return in fall 2013 and want to register for J-Term and get J-Term housing, what should I do?
A: You may contact your advisor or your Dean’s Office to register for a J-Term course. If registering for an on campus or partial on campus course you will also need to email Theresa.Graziano@drake.edu by April 26, 2013 informing the Office of Residence Life of your J-Term housing request.
11. Q: When do the halls open and close for J-Term housing?
A: Goodwin-Kirk, Morehouse, Jewett and Ross Hall Housing for students who are enrolled in on-campus or partial on-campus J-Term courses will open, Sunday, January 5, 2043 at 10 am. J-Term housing will end Saturday January 25, 2014 at noon.