Doctoral Admission Process
All courses in each of the doctoral programs are taken as a cohort. Cohorts begin each fall with review of applications beginning January 15th of each year. Applications will be reviewed until cohorts are filled. New admission decisions will be announced by the middle of March each year. After the January 15 preferred deadline, please contact the Coordinator of Graduate Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine availability.
Application Process All Doctoral Programs
In order to complete the application process, submit the following:
- OnlineGraduate Education Application and Electronic Supporting Documents
- Electronic copy of professional resume/curriculum vitae
- Electronic copy of a personal statement requesting admission, including reasons for pursuing the doctoral degree, an overview of professional background and goals and a discussion of professional philosophy. Suggested word limit is approximately 500 words.
- Electronic copy of evidence of significant scholarly accomplishment, either a completed master’s thesis or other written product that demonstrates ability to write clearly and coherently and to develop a thesis or idea with supporting literature citations.
- Reference Contacts (additional information provided within online application)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- Evidence of 36-graduate credits to include a completed master's degree from an accredited institution and official transcripts for all post-secondary education. It is recommended that applicants have a graduate grade point average of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale. Transcripts and other supporting materials are not returned to the applicant and become the property of Drake University.
- Official report of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test scores or the Miller's Analogies Test (MAT). The Drake Writing Competency Exam is not an acceptable testing option for this program.
Online application materials will automatically be forwarded to the School of Education. Please mail transcripts and test scores to:
Coordinator of Graduate Admission
Drake University School of Education
3206 University Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50311-4505
Additional Application Materials for EdD with Superintendent Licensure
In addition to the above items, those applying to the EdD with Superintendent licensure will need to submit two professional letters of recommendation, including one from an immediate supervisor and a second one from an administrator who can speak to the candidate’s potential for effective district-level leadership. Note: These letters are in addition to the three reference contacts listed above. Reference contacts can also write these letters as long as they meet the requirements listed.
Additional Application Materials for PhD
In addition to the above items, those applying to the PhD program will need to submit a 1-2 page essay explaining their research interests and reasons for pursuing a research intensive degree.
Coordinator of Graduate Admission, School of Education