Doctoral Admission Process
All courses in each of the doctoral programs are taken as a cohort. Cohorts begin each fall. Review of applications begins January 15. Review of applications and admissions continue until July 15 or until the cohort is full, whichever comes first.
Application Process All Doctoral Programs
In order to complete the application process, submit the following:
- OnlineGraduate Education Application and Electronic Supporting Documents
- Electronic copy of professional resume/curriculum vitae
- Electronic copy of a personal statement requesting admission, including reasons for pursuing the doctoral degree, an overview of professional background and goals and a discussion of professional philosophy. Suggested word limit is approximately 500 to 1000 words
- Reference Contacts (additional information provided within online application)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges or universities
- Evidence of 36-graduate credits to include a completed master's degree from an accredited institution and official transcripts for all post-secondary education. It is recommended that applicants have a graduate grade point average of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale. Transcripts and other supporting materials are not returned to the applicant and become the property of Drake University.
- The testing optionfor this program is automatically waived if an applicant's Master's degree GPA is 3.5 or above. If an applicant's GPA is below 3.5 then the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Miller's Analogies Test (MAT) must be submitted
Online application materials will automatically be forwarded to the School of Education. Please mail transcripts and test scores to:
Coordinator of Graduate Admission
Drake University School of Education
3206 University Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50311-4505
Additional Application Materials for EdD with Superintendent Licensure
In addition to the above items, those applying to the EdD with Superintendent licensure will need to submit two professional letters of recommendation, including one from an immediate supervisor and a second one from an administrator who can speak to the candidate’s potential for effective district-level leadership. Note: These letters are in addition to the three reference contacts listed above. Reference contacts can also write these letters as long as they meet the requirements listed.
Additional Application Materials for PhD
In addition to the above items, those applying to the PhD program will need to submit a 1-2 page essay explaining their research interests and reasons for pursuing a research intensive degree.
Coordinator of Graduate Admission, School of Education