Air quality in the State of Iowa is regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency, The Iowa Department of Natural Resources, the Linn County Air Bureau, and the Polk County Department of Natural Works Air Quality Division.

Residents in Polk County should refer to the Polk County Department of Public Works Air Quality Division for information regarding air regulations.  Residents in all other counties (except Linn) should refer to the Iowa DNR Air Bureau.

Air emissions are regulated contaminates that are released to the outdoor environment and may pose health hazards. Environmental regulations set limits as to the amount of pollutants that can be released. These limits are set in permits that are issued to business, industries and colleges and universities.

Two types of air permits are required for all equipment that emits regulated pollutants: a construction permit and an operating permit.

A construction must be obtained prior to beginning construction on an unit, such as a boiler. To obtain a permit contact the EHS at x3125 for assistance.

Drake University has been issued a Synthetic Minor Operating Permit by the Polk County Air Quality Division.  The University campus has various sources that emit regulated pollutants including boilers and standby emergency electrical generators.

Drake is required to submit record keeping information to the Air Quality Division to demonstrate compliance with the permit conditions.

Once every three years, Drake is required to submit an annual emissions inventory to the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

All new, reconstructed, or replaced sources of air emissions are required to have air construction permits prior to construction.  Contact Kris Rossmiller at the EHS office during the planning phase of the proposed project.

For more information concerning air quality see: the EPA website's section on Air Quality Planning & Standards