Student Computer Recommendations
- Law school: recommends Windows machines
- College of Business and Public Administration: Although Windows laptops are recommended for non-Marketing majors, both Mac and Windows are acceptable.
- School of Journalism: recommends Mac machines
- College of Arts and Sciences: recommends Mac or Windows machines
- School of Education: recommends Mac or Windows machines
- College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: recommends Mac or Windows machines
- Chromebooks, tablets (iOS & Android) or devices running Windows RT or 10 S
These are great devices, but they are not sufficient to use as your primary computer. You will likely encounter issues running the software needed for your major(s).
- Smart devices like Amazon Alexa or Google Home
Our networks require more security and control than a home network and these devices aren't designed for this type of system.
Recommended minimum hardware specifications:
- Core i5 or better processor
- at least 4gb of ram
- 3 or 4 year extended warranty with accidental damage protection
- Solid State hard drive (SSD). These hard drives greatly increase speed, though they are generally more expensive and have smaller storage capacity than traditional drives.
For all computers we recommend bringing:
- A power strip with surge protection to protect your computer. Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls.
Other manufacturers may also provide student discounts, for more information contact them directly.
- Drake has site licenses for antivirus, Microsoft Office applications, select statistical packages and more. Software is available from the Software Downloads link in the Learning Resources section on myDrake or on blueView on the Support Center tab.
Below is a real-time indicator of the availability of major Drake services.