Student Computer Recommendations
- Law school: recommends Windows machines
- College of Business: Although Windows laptops are recommended for non-Marketing majors, both Mac and Windows are acceptable.
- School of Journalism: recommends Mac machines
- College of Arts and Sciences: recommends Mac or Windows machines
- School of Education: recommends Mac or Windows machines
- College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: recommends Mac or Windows machines
Recommended minimum hardware specifications:
- Core i5 or better processor
- at least 4gb of ram
- 3 or 4 year extended warranty with accidental damage protection
- Solid State hard drive (SSD). These hard drives greatly increase speed, though they are generally more expensive and smaller than traditional drives.
Other manufacturers may also provide student discounts, for more information contact them directly.
- We recommend a external USB drive to use for backup, available at most local office and computer stores.
- Drake has site licenses for antivirus, Microsoft Office applications, select statistical packages and more. Software is available on blueView on the Support Center tab.
Other computer accessories to consider bringing:
- Power strip with surge protection
Recommended to protect your computer. Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls.
- The original system CD/DVDs that came with your computer
Helpful if the computer develops software problems.