From the President…
This issue of Drake Blue focuses on a vital component of our distinctlyDrake campaign — building collective strength to ensure the University’s ability to keep the promise of our mission well into the future.
The concept of “collective” is, in many ways, central to who and what we are as a University community. In recent years, Drake has emerged as a model for excellence, accountability and integrity in higher education, and it is clear that what we have done is indeed the consequence of collective strength:
• Our vision for Drake’s future is the synthesis of literally hundreds of conversations among Drake’s many stakeholders that revealed a collective sense of what the University could and should be;
• We aspire to be in that select group of institutions to which other colleges and universities look as a model of the very best in higher education, the result of our collective conviction that we will be measured by the quality and integrity of what we do and how we do it;
• Our reputation as one of the very top master’s universities in the country is a direct consequence of the collective efforts of our faculty and staff and their unwavering commitment to make our students’ dreams for themselves come true;
• Our students’ collective strength — their intelligence, their values, their commitment to the common good and their aspirations for themselves and for the world — drives us every day to make Drake better, to keep our promise to them to provide an exceptional learning environment;
• Drake’s collective strength derives in great part from the guidance, support and engagement of our board of trustees, national advisory councils, alumni and parent boards, Bulldog Club and other volunteer groups who selflessly contribute time, wisdom and resources;
• Our 65,000 living alumni are a powerful representation of the collective strength of Drake University — the impact that they have on the lives of others, their communities, Drake, this nation and the world is immeasurable;
• Our collective strength is significantly enhanced by the support and engagement of our community. Des Moines and Drake have had a powerful, mutually enriching interrelationship for 130 years, and the support and encouragement of the Des Moines community have been critical to the University’s success.
As you read the intriguing stories of individuals in this issue, I hope that it is clear that while these lives are all different, they are bound together by a common narrative fabric, the compelling and inspirational story of Drake University — its past, its present and its collective aspirations for the future.
— Dr. David E. Maxwell, President