It is hard to believe that we are reaching the end of the fall semester and finals week. As you can imagine, this can be a stressful time for students. So as the semester winds down and projects, papers and exams pile up, here are a few tips to help your student through their final examination period.
Encourage your student to take the following steps:
- Form study groups to discuss the application of the material covered in class.
- Create and use flash cards or practice exams as you are studying every day.
- Don't just review your notes. Use them to create practice exam questions and answers.
- Study in short increments and use the time available during the day.
- Talk with your faculty. Ask questions! Be prepared to explain what you do know and what you don't understand.
- Take advantage of tutoring sessions and labs.
- Prepare in advance – write out all upcoming due dates so you are organized and prepared.
- Get enough sleep and don’t skip meals.
- Take time to do something fun! The best way to combat the stress of finals is to break up your study sessions with something fun like dinner with friends or reading.
- Ask for help when you need it. You are not alone. Contact the appropriate person(s) from the Academic Excellence and Student Success Unit for assistance.
Academic Success and Retention Specialist: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Disability Services Coordinator: email@example.com
Coordinator, Student Support Case Management: Leah.firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Student-Athlete Academic Services: email@example.com
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES
November 22: Thanksgiving Recess begins after evening classes
December 9: Day free for study (no classes)
December 12-16: Finals week