Writing the nomination:
- You don't have to complete the form all at once. The nomination form allows you to create a username so that you may save your form and return to it later.
- Give examples. The nomination form is based upon the Six Pillars of Character: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and citizenship. A successful nomination will include different examples of how the nominee showed each Pillar.
- Ask for help. You don't have to complete the nomination alone. Ask the nominee's friends, families, co-workers for examples of the nominee's good character.
Who can be nominated?
Iowa citizens (ages 10 and older), organizations and communities who have not received an Iowa Character Award in the last 5 years are eligible. Youth nominees should be between the ages of 10-18 as of May 8, 2018.
Who can nominate?
Anyone can submit a nomination. You can nominate family, friends, co-workers and community members. You can nominate your own school, organization or company.
More about the award categories:
- Citizen of Character Award (Adult) and Citizen of Character Award (Youth): Presented to an individual whose actions demonstrate and model continuous commitment to the Six Pillars of Character.
- Organization of Character: Presented to a company or organization that embodies and demonstrates the Six Pillars of Character in its professional culture and climate.
- Community of Character Award: Presented to an Iowa community that has developed an active task force and comprehensive, sustained community-wide initiative to support good character and has integrated character development throughout the entire community.
- Educator of Character Award: Presented to an educator who teaches and models good character and has impacted students through innovative character development and education in their subject areas.
- School of Character Award: Presented to a school or district that has developed and sustained a comprehensive character development initiative to positively impact the culture and climate at the school.
We're here to help. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact Hilary Ortmann at Hilary.Ortmann@drake.edu or 515-271-2915.