Fall Commencement 2017
In recent years, increasing numbers of Drake University students have completed degree requirements in December. To provide these students and their families and friends a timely opportunity to mark and celebrate this accomplishment, Drake University offers a December commencement ceremony.
When: Saturday, December 16th, 2017, at 10:00 a.m.
Where: Drake Knapp Center (Forest Ave, between 25th and 27th Streets)
This 143rd commencement ceremony will include students earning any degree from Drake University. More information about who is eligible to participate, may be found here.
In case of inclement weather Drake’s University Closing Policy may be invoked.
You may view the first draft of the commencement program here: December 2017 Commencement Program
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the 143rd December Commencement Ceremony. Below are the details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion.
Ceremony (10 a.m., Saturday, December 16th, 2017) notes:
- 8:30 a.m. the doors to the Bell Center open.
- If possible, please do not bring purses, phones, etc... into the Bell Center gym. Coat racks will be provided in the Bell Center. Please leave any other possessions with your guests in the Knapp Center. Additionally, you may also leave possessions with staff in the Bell Center.
- All participants need to be assembled in the Bell Center gym by 9:15 a.m.
- Name cards will be on the chairs--they will be organized alphabetically by college. Once you find your name card, follow the instructions printed on the back.
- The name reader will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. if you would like to speak with him about the pronunciation of your name.
- You need to be dressed in your cap and gown and in your designated seat by 9:15 a.m.
- The Assistant University Marshal will provide last-minute instructions and announcements at 9:30 a.m.
- The processional will leave the Bell Center gym at 9:45 a.m. for the walk through the hallway to the Knapp Center. Students who arrive late will be directed to the end of the line for their college.
- The Marshals will direct the recessional to the lobby of the Knapp Center, not back to the Bell Center gym.
- Remember to return to the Bell Center for your coat and if you have left any possessions with staff.
Assembling several hundred graduates, faculty, and special guests to proceed in an orderly, formal manner takes everyone's cooperation and attention. Therefore, please listen carefully and follow directions.
- Stay in line for the processional! Otherwise you may have difficulties on the main floor.
- The consumption of all alcoholic beverages at the ceremonies is prohibited. Marshals and staff have been instructed to confiscate any alcoholic beverages.
- No decorations (flowers, jewelry, signs, etc.) are to be worn on academic caps or gowns.
- No helium balloons or silly string will be allowed in the Drake Knapp Center. Helium is a safety issue with the lights and silly string damages the floor.
- Please avoid bringing personal or valuable items. Graduates may not carry anything (other than their seating card) during the processional.
A seating chart for graduating students will be found here prior to the ceremony.
If you have guests that are unable to attend - Drake University will stream the Commencement ceremonies live at the following website: http://www.drake.edu/stream/