Community engagement & service-learning not only fulfill the institution's historic mission, but reinforce the concepts woven throughout the university's strategic plan. Teaching and advising, research and scholarship, outreach, and the university community can all be enhanced through student and faculty involvement in the community.
Resources for Faculty:
- Provide small funds for community engagement & service-learning supplies and logistical support
- Identify sites for community engagement & service-learning components
- Establish contact with community partners
- Distribute brochures or forms about procedures for community engagement & service-learning to your students e.g. community partner agreements, service-learning site background checks, liability waivers
- Present the topic of community engagement & service-learning to your class during the first few weeks of the semester
- Provide descriptive information about the sites
- Make a mid-semester e-mail contact with your students and their service site supervisors
- Offer general or course-specific pre, mid, and / or post community engagement & service-learning reflection sessions
- Conduct community partner, student, and faculty assessment for your community engagement & service-learning component
- Provide resources to you or your students to insure the best experience possible
- Showcase your project in various community engagement & service-learning events and publications
- Provide faculty and staff development opportunities regarding community engagement & service-learning and related topics
Resources for Students:
- Community Advisory Board - A student-run organization that engages students in meaningful service and collaborative initiatives that inspire them to strengthen relationships with the communities of which they are a part.
- Volunteer Local – An online database of local community volunteer opportunities.
- Mini Grants – Service-Learning Mini Grants are available on a first come first serve basis to students designing and participating in service-learning projects.
- Post-Graduate Opportunities – CESL staff are knowledable about and can provide infomration on programs like AmeriCorps and the Peace Corps.