Information for Students
Community engagement & service-learning not only fulfill the institution's historic mission, but reinforce the concepts woven throughout the university's strategic plan. Teaching and advising, research and scholarship, outreach, and the university community can all be enhanced through student and faculty involvement in community service-learning.
The following resources are available to students interested in community engagement and service-learning:
- Community Action Board - A student-run organization that engages students in meaningful service and collaborative initiatives that inspire them to strengthen relationships with the communities of which they are a part.
- Engaged Citizen Corps – an intentionally designed first year academic + service year
- Mini Grants – Service-Learning Mini Grants are available on a first come first serve basis to students designing and participating in service-learning projects.
- Service-Learning Ambassadors – Service-Learning Ambassadors (SLAs) are students committed to working with service-learning and community engagement. Each SLA works with a community partner on a specific project in which Drake students can be involved. This year, SLAs are focusing on food recovery, the Sprout Community Garden, Global Service Learning, and College Access. We also hire a graphic design and social media coordinator and Community Engaged Learning assistant. Read more about all of our Service-Learning Programs available to Drake students under the program section.
- College Positive Volunteers - Are you interested in being an ambassador to promote a college-going culture with youth in the Des Moines area? Learn more and sign up here!
- Post-Graduate Opportunities – CESL staff are knowledgeable about and can provide information on programs like AmeriCorps and the Peace Corps.
- Volunteer Local – An online database of current volunteer opportunities.
- Principal Community Scholars Program - supports the leadership development of undergraduate students seeking a business or business-related degree.
- Newman Civic Fellowship - The Office of Community Engaged Learning is now accepting nominations for the Newman Civic Fellowship until Nov. 28.