What is Domestic/Dating Violence?
Domestic Violence: An assault under any of the following circumstances:
- The assault is between family or household members, who resided together at the time of the assault.
- The assault is between separated spouses or persons divorced from each other and not residing together at the time of the assault.
- The assault is between persons who are parents of the same minor child, regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time.
- The assault is between persons who are in an intimate relationship or have been in an intimate relationship and have had contact within the past year of the assault. In determining whether persons are or have been in an intimate relationship, the court may consider the following nonexclusive list of factors: (1) The duration of the relationship. (2) The frequency of interaction. (3) Whether the relationship has been terminated. (4) The nature of the relationship, characterized by either party's expectation of sexual or romantic involvement. A person may be involved in an intimate relationship with more than one person at a time.
- The assault is between persons who have been family or household members residing together within the past year and are not residing together at the time of the assault.
 A person commits an assault when, without justification, the person does any of the following:
Any act which is intended to cause pain or injury to, or which is intended to result in physical contact which will be insulting or offensive to another, coupled with the apparent ability to execute the act. Any act which is intended to place another in fear of immediate physical contact which will be painful, injurious, insulting, or offensive, coupled with the apparent ability to execute the act.
 "Intimate relationship" means a significant romantic involvement that need not include sexual involvement. An intimate relationship does not include casual social relationships or associations in a business or professional capacity. Iowa Code Section 236.2(4A).
Dating Violence: Violence committed by a person who is or has been in a social relationship of a romantic or intimate nature with the victim; and where the existence of such a relationship shall be determined based on a consideration of the following factors:
- The length of the relationship.
- The type of relationship.
- The frequency of interaction between the persons involved in the relationship.