Master of Science in Rehabilitation Placement
The Master of Science in Rehabilitation Placement is a graduate degree program with a blend of coursework and field experience designed to provide a foundation in the purpose, process and skills of placement.
- Accredited degree program earned in two to three years in a part-time evening and weekend format.
- Consists of 42 hours of graduate-level coursework.
- Program includes two fieldwork experiences and an internship.
- Full Library research database available with off-campus access.
- COUN 200 Introduction to the Counseling Profession
- COUN 201 Educational Research in Counseling
- COUN 210 Disability Policy and the A.D.A.
- COUN 215 Theoretical Foundations of Individual and Family Counseling
- COUN 220 Career Development and Occupational Information
- COUN 224 Assessment of Individuals and Families
- COUN 228 Psychopathology and Psychiatric Disabilities
- COUN 233 Human Resources Fieldwork
- COUN 245 Theoretical Foundations of Individual and Family Diversity
- COUN 246 Medical and Vocational Aspects of Disability
- COUN 260 Counseling Practicum
- COUN 265 Advanced Placement
- COUN 270 Advanced Practicum
- COUN 292 Internship
- Counseling Elective
- Prepare students to enter the rehabilitation profession as qualified rehabilitation professionals as defined by the Council on Rehabilitation Education.
- Expose students to professional issues relevant to participation in professional associations and work settings.
- Involve students and faculty in local and national professional associations.
- Maintain accreditation from the Council on Rehabilitation Education as a means to insure the quality of students’ educational experiences.
- Actively recruit applicants from underrepresented groups, including people with disabilities and people from minority ethnic backgrounds.
- Expose students to current professional issues through courses taught by permanent faculty and through adjunct faculty and guest speakers.
- Actively involve people from the community on its boards. These people shall include people with disabilities; and a wide array of rehabilitation professionals.
- Be actively involved in the Drake University community including participating on committees, publishing scholarly research, and contributing services.
- Conduct area needs assessments and incorporate those results into its curriculum planning to ensure it meets the needs of local consumers and employers.
- Work closely with local rehabilitation agencies through in-service training, consulting, and research.
The Rehabilitation Counseling specialization is accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE). The School Counseling specializations are approved by the State of Iowa. The Mental Health Counseling specialization is designed to meet all the academic requirements for licensure as a mental health counselor
- Applications for this program are accepted for fall and spring start terms, with the following deadlines. All materials must be postmarked by the identified dates:
- Spring start-term: September 1
- Fall start-term: March 1
- Upon the receipt of transcripts, an advisor will complete a transcript evaluation in order to determine any credit or course substitutions/transfers.
- Begin the application process on the School of Education's admission page. Questions regarding the application process can be forwarded to the Coordinator of Graduate Admission at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-271-2552.
Program Admission Requirements
This program has indicated specific essay requirements. This essay replaces the general admission essay required for other programs.
The paper should be a 5-page, double spaced statement of interest in the counseling profession. It should include the following information:
- Educational and professional background
- Career aspirations with a counseling degree
- Experience working with people who are different from you
- Personal characteristics that will allow you to be a successful graduate student
To request more information, send correspondence to email@example.com.