Transfer of Principal Investigator

In the event that a principal investigator chooses to leave an institution prior to the conclusion of a funded project and seeks to transfer that project to his/her new institution, the federal government may accommodate that request through a process of terminating the existing award at the original institution and making a new award to the new institution.

Most agencies have defined procedures for such a transfer. In addition, equipment purchased under the grant that is subject to transfer is also identified at this time.

If the timing of the transfer is close to the end of the grant or no-cost extension, a subaward may be issued to the new institution for the duration of the award period.

Sponsored Programs
Administration (SPA)

324 Old Main
2507 University Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50311
Fax: 515-271-4067
Contact us