Fall Commencement Ceremony
In recent years, increasing numbers of Drake University students have completed degree requirements in December. To provide these students and their families and friends a timely opportunity to mark and celebrate this accomplishment, Drake University offers a December commencement ceremony.
When: Saturday, December 13, 2014, at 10:00 a.m.
Where: Drake Knapp Center (Forest Ave, between 25th and 27th Streets)
This 137th commencement ceremony will include students earning any degree from Drake University. More information about commencement, including who is eligible to participate, may be found in the commencement areas of the undergraduate catalog and the graduate catalog.
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the 137th December Commencement Ceremony. Below are the details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion.
December Commencement Ceremony (10 a.m., Saturday, December 13th, 2014) notes:
- Doors open at 8:30 a.m.
- All participants need to be dressed in their cap and gown and in their seat in the Bell Center gym by 9:15 a.m.
- Name cards will be on the chairs, which are arranged alphabetically by college. Once you find your name card, follow the instructions on the card.
- The name reader will be available from 9 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. if you would like to speak with him about the pronunciation of your name.
- The Assistant Marshal of the University will provide last-minute instructions and announcements at 9:30 a.m.
- The processional from the Bell Center gym leaves for the Knapp Center at approximately 9:45 a.m. Students who arrive late will be directed to the end of the line for their college/school.
- After the ceremony, the Marshals will direct the recessional to the lobby of the Knapp Center, not back to the Bell Center gym.
If you have guests that are unable to attend - Drake University will stream the Commencement ceremonies live at the following website: http://www.drake.edu/stream/
Whom to contact with questions:
- Cap and gown, regalia, academic costume: Drake University Book Store - (800) 430-9875
- Commencement program and ceremony: Office of Student Records and Academic Information - 515-271-3093 or email@example.com
- Progress toward students' degree completion: please contact your college/school dean's office
The ceremony will begin at 10:00 am in the Knapp Center. Faculty should be at the Bell Center/Multi-purpose Room no later than 9:30 am to robe and prepare for commencement. It is expected that commencement will be completed by 11:30 am.
If you have questions, you are welcome to contact Nancy Geiger (firstname.lastname@example.org or 271-3095.
Ceremony Notes for All Students
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the 137th Commencement Ceremony. Below are details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion. If you need additional information, your attendance plans have changed, or you have further questions, please call the Office of Student Records and Academic Information at (515) 271-3901.
Ceremony (10 a.m., Saturday, December 13th, 2014) notes:
- 8:30 a.m. the doors to the Bell Center open.
- Please do not bring purses, phones, coats, etc... into the Bell Center gym. Please leave your possessions with your guests in the Knapp Center. You will not be returning to the Bell Center after the ceremony has recessed so do not leave any belongings on or around your chair.
- All participants need to be assembled in the Bell Center gym by 9:15 a.m.
- Name cards will be on the chairs--they will be organized alphabetically by college. Once you find your name card, follow the instructions printed on the back.
- The name reader will be available from 9:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. if you would like to speak with him about the pronunciation of your name.
- You need to be dressed in your cap and gown and in your designated seat by 9:15 a.m.
- The University Marshal will provide last-minute instructions and announcements at 9:30 a.m.
- The processional will leave the Bell Center gym at 9:45 a.m. for the walk through the hallway to the Knapp Center. Students who arrive late will be directed to the end of the line for their college.
- The Marshals will direct the recessional to the lobby of the Knapp Center or outside (weather permitting), not back to the Bell Center gym.
Assembling several hundred graduates, faculty, and special guests to proceed in an orderly, formal manner takes everyone's cooperation and attention. Therefore, please listen carefully and follow directions.
- Stay in line for the processional! Otherwise you may have difficulties on the main floor.
- The consumption of all alcoholic beverages at the ceremonies is prohibited. Marshals and staff have been instructed to confiscate any alcoholic beverages.
- No decorations (flowers, jewelry, signs, etc.) are to be worn on academic caps or gowns.
- No helium balloons or silly string will be allowed in the Drake Knapp Center. Helium is a safety issue with the lights and silly string damages the floor.
- Please avoid bringing personal or valuable items. Graduates may not carry anything (other than their seating card) during the processional.
A Power Point Presentation will be showing on the wall in the Bell Center with additional information and reminders.