Notes for Graduate and Pharmacy Students
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the 134th annual commencement ceremony. Below are the details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion.
Graduate and Pharmacy Ceremony (2 p.m., Sunday, May 19, 2013) notes:
- Doors open at 12:30 p.m.
- All participants need to be dressed in their cap and gown and in their seat in the Bell Center gym by 1:15 p.m.
- Name cards will be on the chairs, sorted alphabetically by college. Once you find your name card, follow the instructions on the card.
- The name reader will be available from 1 p.m. until 1:30 p.m. if you would like to speak with him about the pronunciation of your name.
- The University Marshal will provide last-minute instructions and announcements at 1:30 p.m.
- The processional from the Bell Center gym to the Knapp Center begins at 1:50 p.m. Students who arrive late will be directed to the end of the line for their college.
- The recessional will be directed by the Marshals to the Knapp Center lobby or outside (weather permitting), not back to the Bell Center gym.
- Stay in line for the processional! Otherwise, you may have seating difficulties on the Knapp Center floor.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages at the ceremonies is prohibited. Marshals and staff have been instructed to confiscate any alcoholic beverages.
- No decorations (flowers, jewelry, signs, etc.) are to be worn on academic caps or gowns.
- No helium balloons or silly string will be allowed in the Drake Knapp Center. Helium is a safety issue with the lights and the string damages the floor.
- Please avoid bringing personal or valuable items. Graduates should not carry anything during the processional.
Please do not bring to the ceremonies any objects that contain latex.
At least one of our current Drake students has a latex allergy. Exposure to certain forms may be life threatening. Therefore, we ask that you do not bring latex objects, such as latex balloons, to any of the commencement ceremonies.
If you have latex items that are medically related and need to be used at any of the ceremonies, please contact the Student Records Office at 515-271-2025.
We appreciate your cooperation.
If you need additional information, or if your attendance plans have changed, or if you have further questions, please call the Office of Student Records and Academic Information at (800) 44-DRAKE ext 3093 or (515) 271-3093.