Notes for Undergraduate Students
We are pleased that you plan to participate in the 134th annual commencement ceremony. Below are the details and instructions you will need to help you prepare for this important occasion.
Undergraduate Ceremony (10 a.m., Sunday, May 19, 2013) notes:
- Doors open at 8:30 a.m.
- All participants need to be dressed in their cap and gown and in their seat in the Bell Center gym by 9:15 a.m.
- Name cards will be on the chairs, which are arranged alphabetically by college. Once you find your name card, follow the instructions on the card.
- The name reader will be available from 9 a.m. until 9:30 a.m. if you would like to speak with him about the pronunciation of your name.
- The University Marshal will provide last-minute instructions and announcements at 9:30 a.m.
- The processional from the Bell Center gym leaves for the Knapp Center at 9:45 a.m. Students who arrive late will be directed to the end of the line for their college.
- The Marshals will direct the recessional to the lobby of the Knapp Center or outside (weather permitting), not back to the Bell Center gym.
Assembling more than 600 graduates, faculty and special guests to proceed in an orderly, formal manner takes everyone's cooperation and attention. We appreciate your attention and cooperation!
- Stay in line for the processional! Otherwise, you may have seating difficulties on the main floor.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages at the ceremonies is prohibited. Marshals and staff have been instructed to confiscate any alcoholic beverages.
- No decorations (flowers, jewelry, signs, etc.) are to be worn on academic caps or gowns.
- No helium balloons or silly string will be allowed in the Drake Knapp Center. Helium is a safety issue with the lights and the string damages the floor.
- Please avoid bringing personal or valuable items. Participants should not carry anything (except their name card) during the processional.
Please do not bring to the ceremonies any objects that contain latex.
At least one of our current Drake students has a latex allergy. Exposure to latex in certain forms may be life threatening. Therefore, we ask that you do not bring latex objects, such as latex balloons, to any of the commencement ceremonies.
If you have latex items that are medically related and need to be used at any of the ceremonies, please contact the Student Records Office at 515-271-2025. We appreciate your cooperation.
If you need additional information, your plans for attending have changed or you have further questions, please call the Office of Student Records and Academic Information at (800) 44-DRAKE or (515) 271-3093.