Reporting Options

You may choose to share experiences of sexual or interpersonal misconduct for any number of reasons, including:

  • Seeking support and resources
  • Learning about protective measures and safety planning
  • Understanding interim measures such as accommodations with your classes, housing, and/or work environment
  • Filing a complaint through the University disciplinary process
  • Pursuing a report through law enforcement

You can seek assistance from Drake University without filing a formal complaint or charges with law enforcement.  Below is a description of different options for sharing information and seeking support and resources. If you need someone to talk through these options you can call or text the Drake VIP hotline at 515-512-2972.

Confidential Reporting
Reporting to the University
Reporting to Law Enforcement
External Reporting Options

Faculty and staff Title IX incidence reporting information

Confidential Reporting

When discussing sexual or interpersonal misconduct, the idea of confidentiality can be confusing. Different people, depending on their roles at the University, have varying obligations with regard to confidentiality. Under Iowa law, communications with some individuals are legally confidential—this means they will not share with law enforcement or the Title IX Coordinator information they received in confidence. In addition to attorneys or religious counselors, these confidential individuals and services include the following:

Drake University Peer Advocacy and Support

Violence Intervention Partner (VIP)

515-512-2972 call/text*

Professional or Pastoral Counseling

University Counseling Center (students)


Employee Assistance Program (employees, not including student-employees)

515-244-6090 or 800-327-4692*

Crisis Observation Center (students or employees)

515-564-5742* (or Drake Public Safety can assist at 271-2222)

 Drake University Spiritual Counselor


Advocacy and Support

Polk County Crisis and Advocacy


Crisis Intervention Services

Office hours in Cowles Library 109 Mondays 1:00-3:00 (fall & spring terms)

Domestic Violence Services (CFI)


L.U.N.A. Latina Sexual and Domestic Violence Services

866-256-7668 crisis line*

Monsoon United Asian Women of Iowa


Transformative Healing (LGBTQIA)

515-850-8081 (office line)

Nissa African Women’s Project


Iowa Sexual Abuse Hotline


Iowa Domestic Violence Hotline 

800-770-1650* or text ‘IOWAHELP’ to 20121

Chat Line

Iowa Affirmation and Resources Chat

Medical Care and Support

Drake Student Health Center

Planned Parenthood

Broadlawns Medical Center

Iowa Lutheran Hospital

Iowa Methodist Hospital

Mercy Medical Center

515 271-3731






 *Available 24/7

Reporting to the University

Other University employees cannot guarantee this level of confidentiality, but they will disclose information only to select officials who have an essential need to know. If you make a report to a Drake employee, such as a professor or RA, that employee must inform the Title IX Coordinator; however, you can request that the University treat the information as confidential and/or not investigate or seek action against the individual. The person you report to will forward the request to the Title IX Coordinator, who will weigh the request for confidentiality against the University’s obligation to provide a safe, non-discriminatory environment for all students and employees, including you.

There are several ways you can notify the University of an incident of sexual or interpersonal misconduct, such as:

  • Informing the Title IX Coordinator in person, through email, or through an online report
  • Notifying Drake Public Safety, the Dean of Students, Human Resources, or the Coordinator for Sexual Violence Response and Healthy Relationships Promotion (all contact information below).
  • Reporting anonymously online through EthicsPoint. Drake respects your choice to proceed anonymously; however, doing so may limit the University’s ability to both respond fully to the incident and assist you.

Kathryn Overberg,
Title IX Coordinator
Old Main, 208

Complaints, policy, process, accommodations or protective measures, other assistance

Jerry Parker,
Associate Dean of Students
Old Main

Code of Student Conduct, complaints, investigations, accommodations or protective measures, other assistance

Scott Law,
Director, Department of Public Safety
1227 25th St.

Complaints, safety planning, coordination with Des Moines Police and resources

Gary Johnson,
Director, Human Resources
The Point, 1331 27th St.

Assistance with complaints by or against faculty or staff


Reporting to Law Enforcement

If you want to contact law enforcement, you may do so directly or with assistance from the University. It is every individual's choice whether or not to report to law enforcement, and survivors have the right to decline involvement by the police. Both Drake Public Safety and Des Moines Police can help with questions about the criminal process as well as safety planning on and off campus; Des Moines Police is especially helpful when the individual involved is not affiliated with the University, has graduated, or has otherwise left campus.

Drake Department of Public Safety


Des Moines Police Department

911* (emergency) or 515-283-4864 or 515-283-4811 (non-emergency)

 * Available 24/7

External Reporting Options

The agencies responsible for the enforcement of Title IX or related non-discrimination laws include the following offices:

Report to Title IX
Contact Drake Public Safety
Confidential Resources

Quick contacts to reach a confidential advocate

  • VIP student support or advocacy
    515-512-2972 (call or text)
  • Polk County Crisis and Advocacy
  • Cowles Library 109 during fall & spring term
        - Mondays 1:00-3:00