Programs - Summer 2015
Movement Matters is a 7-week wellness program, designed to get you moving! Physical activity is one of the best ways to keep yourself in good health, and this program will focus on just that - your health! This program will be held between July 6 and August 21 and is free! The objective of the program is to accumulate the total mileage of RAGBRAI - 462 miles, in points. Any, and all, physical activity will work and will earn you points! Once you sign up for the program you will receive the materials with how the program works, how to accumulate points and also a recording sheet. Everyone that completes the goals, there are 7, will receive incentive prizes for each goal reached as well as a t-shirt. Everyone that earns the t-shirt will also be entered into the drawing for a Fitbit. Get yourself, and your colleagues, signed up TODAY! To register please contact Jana Peterson by July 6.
Dates: July 6 - August 21
Lace up your walking shoes and join others on campus for a group walk (or run). Walking is a great form of exercise and we have a great place to get active right on our campus. See how easy and fun it is to get active during your day! Each walk will be just a quick 10 - 15 minute walk, with the exception of August 4, which will be 30 minutes.
- Thursday, July 9 @ 10 am - Meet in front of Old Main
- Tuesday, July 14 @ 2:30 pm - Meet in front of Olmsted (south entrance)
- Wednesday, July 22 @ 11:45 am - Meet in front of Cowles Library
- Friday, July 31 @ 10 am - Meet in front of Bell Center
- Tuesday, August 4 @ 11:15 - Meet with the TRAX Group X class
- Monday, August 10 @ 4:30 pm - Meet in front of Cole Hall
- Wednesday, August 19 @ 2:30 pm - Meet in front of Meredith (south entrance)
SHAPE (Supporting Health Activity and Promoting Exercise)
This program will help you monitor and log your activity. SHAPE allows you to receive rewards for all levels of activity including cardiovascular exercise, sporting activities, wellness programs and even household activities. You can submit your activity minutes online. Contact the Wellness Center for information.
- Health Screening - Receive a reduced rate on your monthly Drake insurance premiums by participating in the screening. The screening includes a health risk appraisal, blood lipid profile, blood pressure reading, body fat measurement, and a wellness consultation. For more information contact Jana Peterson.
- Massage Therapy - Drake Wellness is offering massage therapy as a program that faculty, staff and students can participate in. Massage therapy positively influences the overall health and well-being of clients. Massages take place in 113 Bell Center (Wellness Center). Contact the Massage Therapist to schedule your appointment.
Anne: Weekday and Weekend hours available consistent with the Bell Center hours: Text or call 515-988-8760 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Group X: All Group X classes are FREE and held in the Bell Center. There is no pre-registration required. All classes are taught to accommodate all fitness levels and all of the equipment is provided for you. The only thing you will need to do before class is complete a waiver, please see your fitness instructor before class for details. Schedule of classes.
- Individualized Consultation - Individual consultations are available in the following areas: Fitness Testing, Exercise Prescription and Nutritional Analysis. Email the wellness staff: Jana Peterson to set up your appointment today. Fitness testing inlcudes: weight, body composition, blood pressure, resting heart rate, sit ups and push ups.
- Wellness Library - Drake Wellness now has a variety of wellness-related books, relaxation audiotapes and videos available for you to check out. Stop by the Wellness Center to borrow a book on stress management, healthy relationships, weight loss, running, healthy eating cookbooks, moving through menopause, and general fitness. The Wellness Center will also deliver!