Programs - Spring 2015
Back by popular demand! Have you ever made a New Year's Resolution only to forget about it by January 31st? If so, this program is for you! Resolution Solution is a 10-week competition that will encourage participants to develop (or maintain) healthy activity and eating habits with the ultimate goal of becoming healthier. Participants are challenged to form teams of 5 (no more and no less) and then get moving! If you want to participate and don't have a team, let us know, we can help you find one! There will be all kinds of give-aways, great prizes and team spirit! Are you read to get lean in 2015? To register email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fee: $5 per person or $25 per team
Dates: February 2 - April 10
Registration Deadline: February 2
Are you looking to exercise your mind in 2015? We spend so much time focusing on getting our bodies in shape that sometimes we neglect working out our brains. Reading is one of the easiest ways to exercise the mind, stay on top of current events, and go somewhere in your imagination. Whether you are an avid reader or want to begin reading more, Well Read is the Wellness Program for you! This program starts March 1 and goes through April 24. Over the course of the spring semester you will receive reading challenges, track minutes spent reading and send and receive book recommendations to others in this program. We have some fabulous prizes waiting for you if you participate in this program. One lucky winner goes home with a Kindle Fire! To register email email@example.com.
Dates: March 1 - April 24
Registration Deadline: February 27
Wellness Seminars - Each semester Drake offers wellness seminars covering a variety of topics. Come to one or all three seminars. During each seminar you will have the opportunity to hear Drake Wellness staff or local experts present on various wellness related topics. Please RSVP for the event at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Spring 2015 Seminars are as follows:
There's an App for That! / Tuesday, February 3 / 2:00 - 3:00 pm Paul Morrison Room, Bell Center
- Want to track food intake? Want to do yoga? Want to run a 5K? Track your exercise or reduce your stress? Great news - There's an App for that! Discover all the tools that are available to help you in your pursuit of a healthy lifestyle, all at your fingertips.
The Scoop on Supplementation / Thursday, February 26 / 10:00 - 11:00 am / Location TBD
- Are you overwhelmed and confused by all the supplements to choose from? There are many supplements on the market and Lucas Flaherty, Sodexo Campus Dietitian, will break them all down. What are the pros and cons to each and what is the best for you to use or to avoid. Get the scoop on pre and post workout protein supplementation, supplementing with Omega 3's to finding the right multivitamin.
Spring Clean Your Fitness Routine / Wednesday, March 25 / 2:30 - 3:30 pm / Paul Morrison Room, Bell Center
- With the seasons changing it is important to modify your fitness routine. From switching shoes to finding anew places to recreate outdoors to signing up for a fun run or walk, this wellness seminar will give you the tips and tricks necessary to make a smooth transition from winter to spring training.
Pack the Track
Lace up your walking shoes and join others on campus for a group walk (or run). Walking is a great form of exercise and we have a great place to get active right on our campus. See how easy and fun it is to get active during your day!
- Pack the Track #1: February 12: Knapp Center Track from 11:30 - 12:30. This will be in conjunction with the All Staff Council event.
- Pack the Track #2: April 3: Weather permitting this will be an outdoor walk from noon - 12:45 pm, the Knapp Center track will be the back-up location.
SHAPE (Supporting Health Activity and Promoting Exercise)
This program will help you monitor and log your activity. SHAPE allows you to receive rewards for all levels of activity including cardiovascular exercise, sporting activities, wellness programs and even household activities. You can submit your activity minutes online. Contact the Wellness Center for information.
Looking for a way to have fun, win prizes, and stay healthy before sumer break? If so, health bingo is the program for you! Complete a list of healthy challenges between a certain amount of time at the conclusion of the semester and you will have the chance to win fantastic prizes during a fun game of health bingo! Please contact Johanna Determann for more details or to sign up!
- Health Screening - Receive a reduced rate on your monthly Drake insurance premiums by participating in the screening. The screening includes a health risk appraisal, blood lipid profile, blood pressure reading, body fat measurement, and a wellness consultation. For more information contact Jana Peterson.
- Massage Therapy - Drake Wellness is offering massage therapy as a program that faculty, staff and students can participate in. Massage therapy positively influences the overall health and well-being of clients. Massages take place in 113 Bell Center (Wellness Center). Contact the Massage Therapist to schedule your appointment.
Anne: Weekday and Weekend hours available consistent with the Bell Center hours: Text or call 515-988-8760 or email email@example.com
- Group X: All Group X classes are FREE and held in the Bell Center. There is no pre-registration required. All classes are taught to accommodate all fitness levels and all of the equipment is provided for you. Attend 20 classes during the semester and earn the Flex Zone tank top! The only thing you will need to do before class is complete a waiver, please see your fitness instructor before class for details. Schedule of classes.
- Individualized Consultation - Individual consultations are available in the following areas: Fitness Testing, Exercise Prescription and Nutritional Analysis. Email the wellness staff Jana Peterson or Johanna Determann to set up your appointment today. Fitness testing inlcudes: weight, body composition, blood pressure, resting heart rate, sit ups and push ups.
- Wellness Library - Drake Wellness now has a variety of wellness-related books, relaxation audiotapes and videos available for you to check out. Stop by the Wellness Center to borrow a book on stress management, healthy relationships, weight loss, running, healthy eating cookbooks, moving through menopause, and general fitness. The Wellness Center will also deliver!