Skip Sub Menu

Provost's Office Faculty Development Grant Programs FAQ

Faculty Development Programs
Office of the Provost
Drake University



Q: What kinds of activity are supported by the various Faculty Development Grants administered by the Provost’s Office?

A: A wide range of activities is supported by the grant programs administered by the Provost’s Office. Some, such as the Drake Research Grant and the Undergraduate Student Assistantship Grants support targeted initiatives and activities suggested by their titles. However, the Faculty Enrichment and Development Grants support a broader range of activities related specifically to teaching, administrative, and leadership development and collaborative exchange. The Development and Enrichment grants do not cover costs associated with disciplinary research, travel to disciplinary conferences, or student assistantships.  

Q: Where can I find more information about the Faculty Development Grants administered by the Provost’s Office?

A: Information is at the faculty development webpage can also send questions to:

 Q: What kinds of international travel can be funded through grants from the Provost’s Office?

 A: The Drake Research Grant, awarded each spring for the following fiscal year, is the only means by which the Provost’s Office directly supports disciplinary research overseas—for instance, by underwriting on-site research, cultural observation, archival research, and the like. Requests for funding primarily to support international travel for the purposes of making site visits for prospective travel seminars, establishing or maintaining institutional partnerships with collaborating institutions (such as universities, museums, archives, and agencies abroad), and internationalization of programming or faculty experience should be made through the Office of International Programs and the Principal Financial Group Center for Global Citizenship. Please contact Annique Kiel, Executive Director of Global Engagement and International Programs, and David Skidmore, Director of the PFGCGC, respectively, for more information. Requests for all other international travel assistance, including disciplinary research and disciplinary conference attendance, should be made to Dean’s offices, The Center for the Humanities, or the Principal Financial Group Center for Global Citizenship.

Q: What are the deadlines for the various grants offered by the Provost’s Office?

A: Proposals for Faculty Development and Enrichment Grants are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year as long as sufficient funds remain unallocated. Proposals for the Drake Research Grants, Sabbatical Research Fellowships, and Undergraduate Student Assistantship Grants are due early in the spring semester; specific deadlines for these applications are announced during the fall semester.

Q: Can I request consultation about my proposal before submitting it?

A: Yes. At any stage in the proposal process prior to submission, applicants may contact the Associate Provost at with questions or requests for an initial reading or consultation.



 Q: Who is eligible to apply for Drake Research Grants?

 A: Full-time faculty on continuing appointment are eligible to apply for Drake Research Grants. Proposals from faculty on the tenure line or on consecutive term appointments will be given priority over those from visiting professors. Since Drake Research Grants are awarded for the fiscal year following the year they are applied for, faculty who have not been reappointed to full-time service are not eligible to apply, whatever the status of their appointment during the application year.

 Q: Who is eligible to apply for Undergraduate Student Assistantship Grants?

 A: Full-time faculty on continuing appointment and full-time representatives of administrative offices are eligible to apply for Undergraduate Assistantship Grants, regardless of rank or eligibility for promotion.

Q: Who is eligible to apply for Sabbatical Research Fellowships?

A: Faculty planning to take sabbatical (semester long or full-year) may apply for the Sabbatical Research Fellowship in the spring preceding the year of their sabbatical. Only faculty who are either taking a pre-promotion ½ year sabbatical as assistant professors or those in at least their fourth year at rank as associate professors, and are planning to apply for promotion to full professor within three years of completing their sabbatical, may apply.

Q: Who is eligible for Faculty Development and Enrichment Grants?

A: Full-time faculty on the tenure line, on consecutive term appointments, and on multiple-year visiting appointments are eligible to apply for ongoing Faculty Development and Enrichment Program Grants, awarded for use in the fiscal year during which they are requested. However, if the proposed activity implies ongoing work in years to come, the faculty applicant must secure reappointment before funds become available. All faculty may be included as participants in workshops, programs, or collaborative projects proposed by faculty eligible to apply.

Q: How often may faculty receive the same kind of grant?

A: Undergraduate Student Assistantships are available for a maximum of two years for the same (or closely related) project. After that time, the cost of employing student assistants is the responsibility of the department or program in which they are appointed. Faculty may receive the Sabbatical Fellowship Grant only once.  Faculty may receive funding for a single project through the Drake Research Grants for multiple years, but must demonstrate significant progress in the research each year and make efforts to raise extra-mural support for ongoing projects. Projects not previously funded will be given priority over ongoing projects that have already received University funding (from any source). These limits on the Drake Research Grant funding are tied to projects, not the individual investigator. Under normal circumstances, an individual faculty or staff member is eligible for only one Faculty Development and Enrichment Grant in any single fiscal year.



Q: Can awarded funds be used to underwrite the cost of attending workshops and training seminars related to a faculty member’s administrative or teaching responsibilities?

A: Yes. Applications for Faculty Enrichment and Development Grants should include detailed information about the meeting or workshop to be attended, and should clearly connect the skills, knowledge, or practices to be learned to the applicant’s current or expected future teaching or administrative roles at Drake. These funds may not be used to attend disciplinary conferences even when administrative or teaching workshops will be held there. Drake Research Grants also do not cover such costs.

Q: Can awarded funds be used to underwrite the cost of attending disciplinary conferences?

A: No. Drake’s schools and colleges are allocated faculty development funding to support faculty attendance at disciplinary conferences. For information about this support, please contact your Dean’s office.

Q: Can awarded funds from a single grant or award be used in more than one fiscal year?

A: No. Funds must be used only in the fiscal year for which they were awarded. Drake’s fiscal year extends from July 1 to June 30. Unless prior arrangements have been made (usually in cases of unavoidable necessity), funds should be used and, when applicable, reimbursements requested, before the end of May to allow time for year-end bookkeeping. If such arrangements are not made in advance, faculty may be responsible for the costs incurred.

Q: Can awarded funds be used to support activities performed in the service of other organizations?

A: Usually not. Research and service projects that contribute primarily to the missions of organizations other than Drake should be funded by those organizations or, when applicable, carried out as professional service. However, when proposed projects contribute to the outreach and engagement aims of Goal IV of Strategic Plan 2012-2017, they are eligible for Enrichment and Development Grant funding.

Q: Can awarded funds be used to offset the research expenses borne by collaborators from other institutions or organizations?

A: No. Funds awarded by Drake University can be used only for expenses borne by Drake employees or for materials and services used by Drake employees. Occasionally, the expenses of consultants and contractors can be paid for with these funds, as governed by Finance and Administration policies. See the Independent Contractor Travel Expense Reimbursement Checklist available from the Office of Finance and Administration.

Q: Can awarded funds be used to offset the costs of services performed by non-Drake employees in support of a faculty member’s research?

A: Yes. Costs associated with services that directly support the research being carried out by members of the Drake faculty, such as transcribing, indexing, sound engineering, editing, permissions, and the like, may be paid for with Drake Research Grant funds. Only when the research in question is being conducted as part of new course development or in service of a faculty member’s teaching or administrative development may funds from ongoing Development and Enrichment grants be used.

Q: Can awarded funds be used for stipendiary support?

A: Those receiving Sabbatical Research Fellowships have a choice of applying for stipendiary support or the costs associated with doing research.

For Faculty Development and Enrichment Grants the only stipendiary support permitted is for faculty and/or staff members participating in a workshop that is funded, at least in part, through a Development and Enrichment Grant.  Those stipends will be the standard stipends paid by the Provost’s Office for participation in workshops, $75 for a half-day workshop, $125 for a full-day workshop.

Drake Research Grants do not allow for stipendiary support.

Q: Can awarded funds be used to pay for food service?

A: Only in limited circumstances.  Participants in workshops, meetings, and collaborative projects that are scheduled for at least half a day may be provided breakfast or lunch (for half-day morning or afternoon meetings), breakfast and lunch (for all day meetings), and soda, water, and coffee service during the course of their scheduled activities. However, these provisions are subject to limits on the over-all cost of the proposed programs.


 Q: Is there a single set of overriding considerations by which the merits of proposed projects are measured?

 A: Yes. While each type of grant proposal is considered according to criteria specific to it, there are a few overriding considerations that will guide deliberations on all proposals. They include the following:

The contribution the proposed project makes to the Mission and Strategic Goals of the University.

The qualifications of the faculty investigators and participants to carry out the proposed project.

The long-term benefits of the proposed project.

The timeliness of the proposed project.

The availability of resources—both monetary and human—required for the successful completion of the project.

In addition, proposed research projects must demonstrate their contribution to, and their merits as determined by the standards of, the discipline(s) in which they engage.

Q: What materials should be submitted with proposals?

A: All proposals, regardless of the grant program for which they are submitted, require a Uniform Application Cover sheet and the current vita(e) of all faculty members involved in the proposed project, as well as a detailed funding history (included grants applied for but denied or under consideration) for the proposed project. Grants requests involving itemized or reimbursable expenses, including all Drake Research Grant Requests, must also include a Uniform Budget Checklist. All grant requests must include a detailed description of the project to be undertaken, including an explanation of proposed outcomes and benefits, both short- and long-term.

Q: Who determines whether a requested grant is awarded?

A: The Faculty Development Advisory Committee, comprised of representatives from each academic unit except the School of Law, deliberate on Drake Research Grant proposals and Sabbatical Fellowship applications, and advise the Provost on whether or not to grant the requested funds.  These deliberations occur after Deans have reviewed, commented on, and ranked proposals. The Provost has the final discretion to approve recommendations of the Faculty Development Advisory Committee.  Proposals for Faculty Development and Enrichment Grants are reviewed by the Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment, and, on occasion, the Provost.  At times the Associate Provost will seek input from members of the Faculty Development Advisory committee whose specific expertise relates to the nature of the proposal. Undergraduate Assistantships are reviewed by an ad hoc panel convened by the Director of Student Financial Planning.

Q: Who sits on the Faculty Development Advisory Committee?

A: Representatives from each of the following units are appointed by their respective deans: Journalism and Mass Communication; Humanities and Social Sciences; Education; Fine Arts; Sciences; Business; Cowles Library; and Pharmacy and Health Sciences. These representatives serve for two year terms, with half rotating off each year. Special Delegates appointed from their administrative units, including Drake Technology Services and University Communications take part in deliberations when proposals germane to their missions are under consideration. The Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment chairs the Commitee, serving in a non-voting capacity. The Provost makes final decisions on the recommendations of the Advisory Committee.

Q: Do I need to have secured Institutional Review Board (IRB) or Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) approval for my proposed research before submitting a proposal?

A: No. While projects involving human subjects, including Drake students, and live non-human animals must earn IRB or IACUC approval before the research is carried out, this approval need not have been secured before submitting a proposal. However, proposals for such research must demonstrate that successful IRB and/or IACUC review is likely, and approval must be secured before funds will become available.

Q: How do I know whether to apply for an Undergraduate Student Assistantship grant or a Drake Research Grant?

A: Apply for an Undergraduate Student Assistantship Grant (UGA Grant) if all of the following apply:

The proposed project involves significant student engagement.

The proposed project will significantly enrich the student’s learning by introducing them to skills, knowledges, and/or practices that contribute to their short- and long-term educational or career goals.

The student/faculty relationship will be a mentorship relationship; that is, the faculty applicant expects to spend much of his or her time in developing the student assistant’s academic or professional aptitudes.

The faculty applicant’s home department, administrative unit, college, or school will contribute 1/3 of the cost of the student assistantship.

The total amount requested from the UGA program does not exceed $1100.00 (requiring a $550 home-unit match).

Projects that do not meet the five criteria above may be eligible for Drake Research Grant funding if the student appointee will assist in disciplinary research. Funds are not available for hiring students who will serve in primarily clerical, administrative, or support capacities.

Q: Can a faculty applicant revise his or her grant proposal after having submitted it for review?

A: Applications for Drake Research Grants and Undergraduate Assistantship Grants are considered final upon submission, and may not be revised and resubmitted during the same year. Applications for Sabbatical Research Fellowships may be revised upon the request of the Faculty Development Advisory Committee. Applications for all other grants may be revised and resubmitted voluntarily by faculty applicants, after consulting with the Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment or revised and resubmitted in response to a request for revision from the Faculty Development Advisory Committee. Submitted requests under consideration may not be revised, except by request of the Associate Provost for Curriculum and Assessment, during the deliberation process.


Q: Can research and creative activity supported by the Drake Research Grant or Sabbatical Research Fellowship grant program also involve students whose work is paid for by the Undergraduate Student Assistantship program?

A: Yes. For example, if the proposed project requires significant costs for materials, travel, and the like, that portion of the project is eligible for funding from the Drake Research Grant program. If it also involves student assistance that meets all the criteria above, the portion of the costs supporting student involvement can be funded through the Undergraduate Assistantship Program.

Q: Can student assistance be paid for with Drake Research Grant or Sabbatical Research Fellowship funds?

A: Yes. If student assistance is required for the successful completion of proposed research, but does not meet all the criteria for the Undergraduate Assistantship Program, student labor can be included in the proposed Drake Research Grant or Sabbatical Research Fellowship budget.

Q: Can Undergraduate Student Assistantship Funds be used to cover expenses other than student participation in the project?

A: No. All funds allocated to support an Undergraduate Student Assistantship must be used to pay student assistants for their time on an hourly basis.


Revised November 2017


Faculty Development and Enrichment Grants FAQ

University News