Skip Sub Menu


Upon satisfactory completion of an approved teacher education program, a Proficient rating on the student’s portfolio, achievement of at least 8/10 INTASC Standards at a Proficient level in classroom practice and recommendation of the Dean of the School of Education, Drake students may receive their bachelor's or master's degrees and be licensed to teach in the state of Iowa. Licensure or endorsement in other states may require different courses of study, and the individual student is responsible for knowing the rules and regulations of any other states in which he/she wishes to be certified.

In Iowa, teaching licensure is issued by the Iowa Department of Education upon recommendation of colleges and universities that have state-approved programs. All areas of concentration detailed for the School of Education are fully approved by the Iowa State Department of Public Instruction. Other states also accept recommendations for teaching licensure from Drake University, which is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges; American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business; Iowa State Department of Public Instruction; National Association of Schools of Arts and Design; National Association of Schools of Music; American Chemical Society; American Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication; Accreditation Council on Pharmacy Education; American Bar Association; charter member of the Association of American Law Schools. As a general rule, the School of Education requires a minimum of 30 hours in residence toward a bachelor's degree, 24 hours in residence toward any graduate degree program, a minimum of 12 hours in residence for any licensure-only program, and a minimum of 6 hours in residence toward any added-endorsement program.

University News