- Faculty workshop - Implementing Community Engaged Learning 101 - Friday, Oct. 19, 1-2pm, Aliber 110. This workshop is for those new/inexperienced with community engaged learning, service-learning, and other forms of community-based pedagogy. This session will highlight the value and benefits of Community Engaged Learning (CEL), overview what CEL looks like here at Drake, share models and course examples, and explore the concept of the Civic Minded Graduate.
- SPROUT End-of-Season Harvest Party - Sunday, Oct. 21, 12-1:30pm, Sprout Garden on the corner of Forest and 25th Street. Come celebrate our abundant growing season! Enjoy some delicious veggie recipes, the beautiful fall weather, and a guest speaker about garden care! In collaboration with VegLife Des Moines and Eat Greater Des Moines.
- Faculty Workshop - Tips, Tricks & Tools for Facilitating Reflection in the Classroom. Friday, Oct. 26, 2:30-4pm, Aliber 112. Participants will engage in hands-on activities and reflection strategies that can be used to guide student learning. Topics covered include: introductions & icebreakers, ground rules (community guidelines, establishing a friendly environment, learning agreement) importance or reflection, and specific reflection ideas.
- Non-profit Networking Happy Hour - Representatives from various non-profit agencies will be at Drake on Monday, Oct. 29 to visit with faculty and staff about opportunities. Faculty are welcome to brainstorm service-learning ideas with non-profit staff from 3-4pm in Olmsted CR312/313, and students can sign up for individual meetings with representatives from 4-5pm in Olmsted CR 310/311.
- Iowa Civic Action Academy - Join other college students from across the state in learning new ways of making a difference and building skills through civic and community engagement. Nov. 9-10 at Drake University, only $25! Register by Oct. 31.
The office periodically publishes a newsletter with upcoming events and stories about community engaged learning. Below is an archive of those publications.