(These opportunities are currently on hold until further notice, but please keep them in mind for the future).
- Burt Boys and Girls Club - Visit the Boys and Girls Club of Central Iowa website and fill out the volunteer interest form. Volunteers must be available to give at least 1 hour a week for at least 1 semester. The club also welcomes student organizations to come in and do programming. Contact email@example.com for more information.
YESS Snacktime Volunteer Opportunity: If you want to help protect children, empower families, and have fun doing it, say YESS to this volunteer opportunity. We are looking for small groups of volunteers to help prepare snacks for the kids we have on site. About 2-4pm any day of the week is ideal. If you are interested or you have questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tutors at JW Reed Christian Academy - volunteer tutors needed for grades K-12 in areas of Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies on Tuesdays from 4-6pm. Contact Mrs. Elizabeth Thames at Mrsthames25@gmail.com, 515-745-7485 to sign up.
- Tutor Heroes at Evelyn K Davis Center - tutor students in 7th-12th grade on Tuesdays or Wednesdays from 5-7pm. Apply at 2019 TutorHeroes Volunteer Application or contact email@example.com.
- Genesis Youth Foundation volunteers - Support refugee or underserved youth in Des Moines. Be an academic tutor (M, T, or Th 5:30-7:30pm); sewing project assistant , or soccer coach. For more information, contact Heather Brady at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tutors at Tawba Islamic Center - tutor kids in math and reading/writing on Sundays from 2:30-3:30 or Tuesdays from 6-8pm. Sign up.
- Tutors at CommonBond - Volunteer to tutor in a local housing community for 1-2 hours a week for the duration of 1 semester. Typical sessions run from 3-5pm on weekdays. Sign up.
- Everybody Wins! Iowa Power Read Program - Some say that reading aloud to a child is the single most important factor in improving a child's literacy skills. Volunteer to read to a child in an elementary school near campus within walking distance - Monroe Elementary School on Thursdays for 30-minute shifts between 11:10am and 12pm, or King Elementary School on Fridays for 30-minute shifts between 10:30 and 11:30am. Learn more at https://everybodywinsiowa.org/.
- Drake University Head Start Volunteer - Volunteer in classrooms across the metro to be a guest reader or to play with the children. Contact email@example.com.