Student Disability Services offers:
- Appointments at the pre-admission and pre-enrollment stages
- Review of Drake's policies and procedures regarding students with disabilities
- Identification and coordination of classroom accommodations
- Note takers, scribes and readers
- Referral to appropriate campus resources
- Advocacy and liaison with University community
- Campus accessibility consultation
- Priority snow removal for students with mobility issues
- Information and referral to vocational rehabilitation agencies and other community resources
How do I arrange academic accommodations?
- After admitted to Drake, attend an Orientation
- Contact the Drake Office of Student Disability Services, in-person, by telephone, or email at SDS@Drake.edu. To start the process, you will need to fill out an SDS Intake Form here. Please contact the Office of Student Disability Services if you need any accommodations in this process.
- Completely fill out the Intake Form, and provide the Office of Student Disability Services with sufficient documentation of your disability to the office via fax, email, or in-person delivery. For guidance on the documentation required, review our Documentation Guidelines. The Intake Form and submitted documentation will be reviewed by a Disability Services Staff member.
- Schedule and attend an intake appointment with your Coordinator. New students to Disability services will meet with Brooke Sanders, the new student coordinator. Feel free to reach her directly at Brooke.Sanders@Drake.edu. During the intake appointment, you and your Coordinator will engage in an “interactive” process in which you discuss the following:
- The documentation you submitted;
- Barriers you experience in your academics and/or activities;
- Your accommodation inquiries and suggestions; and
- The specific adjustments or services (reasonable accommodations) that are available for you, and how to set up those accommodations
- During your appointment with disability services, an email will be sent by a staff member to all your instructors listing your approved reasonable accommodattions. You are responsible to follow-up with your instructors to discuss accommodations. A faculty member may have additional questions or seek alternative arrangements, and the Office can help facilitate this process.
- You will need to check in with the SDS Office and receive approvals each semester for accommodations.
We thank you for your cooperation and participation in the process. Through these steps, the SDS Office will fully document the date you request accommodations, the nature of each request and any supporting documentation, the reason(s) for any denials, and the interactive process occurs.
What can Drake's SDS offer me?
Visit the Student Disability Services page
What are my responsibilities as a student with a disability?
Read a list of Student Responsibilities on the Current Student Page
What are the guidelines for documenting various disabilities?
Read the Disability Documentation
Where can I find more information?
Visit our Additional Resources page, or contact a Disability Services staff member at SDS@drake.edu or 271-1835
Are there scholarships available for students with disabilities?
The Joseph H. Morris Scholarship is available to students with disabilities