Student Computer Recommendations
- Law school: recommends Windows 10 laptops
- College of Business and Public Administration: Windows 10 laptops are recommended for non-Marketing majors, Mac OS and Windows 10 laptops for other majors.
- School of Journalism: recommends Mac OS laptops
- College of Arts and Sciences: recommends Mac OS or Windows 10 laptops
- School of Education: recommends Mac OS or Windows 10 laptops
- College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences: recommends Mac OS or Windows 10 laptops
- Chromebooks, tablets (iOS & Android) or devices running Windows RT or 10 S
These are great devices, but they are not sufficient to use as your primary computer. You will likely encounter issues running the software needed for your major(s).
- Smart devices like Amazon Alexa or Google Home
Our networks require more security and control than a home network and these devices aren't designed for this type of system.
Recommended minimum hardware specifications:
- 2012 or newer processor
- at least 4gb of ram
- 3 or 4 year extended warranty with accidental damage protection
- Solid State hard drive (SSD). These hard drives greatly increase speed, though they are generally more expensive and have smaller storage capacity than traditional drives.
For all computers we recommend bringing:
- A power strip with surge protection to protect your computer. Extension cords are not allowed in the residence halls.
Other manufacturers may also provide student discounts, for more information contact them directly.
- Drake has site licenses for antivirus, Microsoft Office applications, select statistical packages and more. Software is available from the Software Downloads link in the Learning Resources section on myDrake.
Below is a real-time indicator of the availability of major Drake services.
ITS staff is working on adding myDrake to this dashboard.