Skip Sub Menu

Visas and Other Requirements

When a student is approved for exchange and has completed the Proof of Finances, Drake will send a packet of information including:

  • DS-2019 document and instructions on how to apply for a J-1 exchange student visa
  • Residence Hall Contract. Exchange students (except law students) are required to live in the residence halls. The Residence Hall Contracts and deposit must be sent to the address on the contract as evidence that you have agreed to come to Drake on exchange. The deposit is refundable if circumstances later prevent you from coming.  (Law exchange students do not live on campus. Their packets will include separate information about living off campus.)
  • Health Form  Complete this at home, mail it or bring it with you to Orientation
  • Letter with further instructions for your arrival.

Students approved for exchange should also:

  • review the information posted under Information for Admitted Students.   Although, if you have not been admitted to Drake as a degree-seeking student, this information is also useful for exchange students.
  • return the Arrival Information Form as soon as you have an airline reservation. 
  • pay special attention to the information about Drake’s mandatory insurance.  You must buy Drake’s insurance policy, even if you already have other insurance.  Click here for more information about Drake's insurance.