Explore. Discover. Decide.
The Arts & Sciences Open-Enrolled program offers you structured and professional guidance, cohort support, and access to opportunities designed to help you discover your strengths, goals, and career path. As an open-enrolled student, you can use courses in the Drake Curriculum to explore fields of study while completing progress towards your degree, allowing you time to thoughtfully consider your major options while staying on track for graduation.
The program provides access to specialized advising, peer mentoring, networking events and career exploration workshops to help you choose a major informed by active self-discovery and participation in coursework.
You have until the beginning of your junior year to declare a major, but 75% of students select a major by the end of their first year.
The Arts & Sciences Open-Enrolled Program:
- Offers an opportunity for you to learn more about majors and minors and concentrations at Drake University.
- Allows you to explore your strengths, skills, values, interests, and abilities.
- Provides personal academic advising through a faculty advisor who will help you explore different paths and the assistant/associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences who will provide resources and referrals to help you succeed, graduate on time, and navigate the university.
- Connects you with Professional and Career Development Services to decide if the major you choose has employment opportunities that suit you and your goals.
Fall 2017 Events
As an open-enrolled major, we have established a variety of events for the upcoming semester. Make sure to add them to your fall calendar.
- Activities Fair
Tuesday, September 5, 4:00-7:00 pm in Parents Hall, Olmsted Center
- Open-Enrolled Student Social
Wednesday, September 21, tentatively 3-5 pm, location TBD
- Academic Fair
Wednesday, September 23, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. in Parents Hall, Olmsted Center
- Career/Major Exploration Workshop
Thursday, October 6, 3:00-4:00 pm, location TBD
- Advisor Meetings/Spring Schedule Planning
Individual meetings wlil be scheduled between October 10-21
- Arts & Sciences Alumni Speed Networking Event
Friday, October 27, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
- Registration Overview
Various sessions available October 24-November 4
- Academic Skills/Finals Preparation Workshop
Tuesday, November 15, tentatively 3:00-4:00 pm, location TBD