Customized Language Programming
Drake's English as a Second Language Department can design short-term programs for individuals and groups.
Potential Program Examples
- Individual Tutoring - Companies hosting long-term visitors to the US can arrange private or group tutoring inof English as a Second Language at various levels with one of our professional tutors.
- English for Specific Purposes - language learning can be targeted to a specific field of study or topic to include "English for Legal Scholars," "English and Health," and others.
- Language Plus (study language while incorporating an additional interest)
- Service - participate in community service
- Business - learn about US business practices and visit local businesses
- Culture - explore American culture through local venues and activities
- Language Camps
- Elementary, middle school or high school camps that incorporate general language learning and social activities with a specific focus or topics relevant to today's youth.
- Summer Language Institute of Language and Culture
- Four week intensive language study with cultural and social activities.
Programs allow participants to
- Practice English skills in the "Heartland" of the United States
- Exchange ideas with American university students and others
- Become familiar with Mid-Western customs
- Visit several prominent U.S. businesses or local establishments
- Understand American cultural values
- Learn and live in a safe, friendly environment!
- Housing in a Drake residence hall with access to university computer labs, library, & recreation facilities.
- English conversation groups led by American Students
- Cultural activities with an American family
- Small class-size and customized courses designed for the needs and interests of the group. For example
- Day trips to local attractions
For more information on customized language programs or the Summer Institute of Language and Culture, contact Kendra Hossain-Morehead at the International Center, firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-271-2084.