Allan Vestal Profile
Dwight D. Opperman Distinguished
Professor of Law
Areas of Expertise
Business Association Law, Secured Transactions, Real Estate
JD – Yale University Law School
BA – Yale University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Drake Law School dean (2009-2014)
Drake Law School professor since 2014
Dean and professor at the University of Kentucky College of Law
Professor and associate dean at Washington & Lee University School of Law
Private practice specializing in business and commercial transactions, regulated industries, and civil trials and appeals
- The Other Lawyer in the Courtroom: The Prosecutor in To Kill a Mockingbird, 86 Mississippi Law Journal 167 (2016).
- Disenthralling Ourselves…Notes from My Final Year as Dean, 46 University of Toledo Law Review 407 (2015).
- The Lingering Bigotry of State Constitution Religious Tests, 15 University of Maryland Law Journal of Race, Religion, Gender and Class 55 (2015).
- To Soften Their Obdurate Hearts: The Southern Baptist Convention and Marriage Equality, 21 Law & Sexuality: A Review of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Legal Issues 49 (2012).
- Contractarianism and Its Discontents: Reflections on Unincorporated Business Organization Law Reform, 42 Suffolk University Law Review (2008) (with J. William Callison).
- Elected member of the American Law Institute
- Kentucky Justice Association Consumer Safety Award (2008)
- Medallion “in recognition of outstanding contributions towards modernizing Kentucky Business Law” from the National Association of Secretaries of State (2007)
- Public Advocate’s Award from the Office of Public Advocate (2005)
- Distinguished Professor Award from Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity, Washington & Lee University Law School (1993-1994 and 1994-1995)
Allan Vestal Curriculum Vitae