Mark Kende Profile
Director of the Drake Constitutional Law Center
James Madison Chair in Constitutional Law
Professor of Law
Areas of Expertise
Constitutional Law, Comparative Constitutionalism, Civil Rights, Cyberlaw, Civil Procedure
JD – University of Chicago, Law Review
BA – Yale University, cum laude, Philosophy Honors
Drake Law School professor since 2004
Dean's Visiting Scholar at Georgetown Law School
Visiting professor at Notre Dame Law School
Visiting professor of law at the University of Paris II – Pantheon
Professor of law at the University of Montana Law School
Attorney at Miner, Barnhill & Galland, P.C., Chicago
Clerk for The Hon. Julian Cook Jr. of the Eastern District, Michigan
- Social Media, the First Amendment, and Democratic Dysfunction in the Trump Era, 68 Drake Law Review 273 (2020).
- Obscenity and Free Speech Issues in Hong Kong, with a Comparative U.S. Perspective, 46 Georgia Journal of International and Comparative Law, 317 (2018) (lead article), co-author Jenna Bishop.
- The Unmasking of Balancing and Proportionality Review in U.S. Constitutional Law, 25 Cardozo J.of International and Comparative Law 417 (2017).
- Corruption Cases and Separation of Powers in South African and U.S. Supreme Court Cases, 60 New York Law School Law Review 183 (2016).
- Comparative Constitutional Law: South African Cases and Materials in a Global Context (Carolina Academic Press, 2015).
- Justice Thomas’s Korematsu Problem, 30 Harvard Journal of Racial and Ethnic Justice 201 (2014).
- Constitutional Rights in Two Worlds, South Africa and the United States (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Chair of the AALS Section on Africa, the Section on Comparative Law, and the Section on Constitutional Law
- Recipient, Drake Law Faculty International Development Fund
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, South Africa
- Chair, ACLU of Iowa Board of Directors Legal Committee
- Co-Founder, SSRN E-Journal on Africa
- Teacher of the Year, Scholar of the Year, Montana Law School
Mark Kende Curriculum Vitae
Mark Kende SSRN Author Page