Maura Strassberg Profile
Professor of Law
Areas of Expertise
Contracts, Ethics, Sexuality Law, Sales
JD – Columbia University, Columbia Law Review
MA – Boston University
BA – Swarthmore College (high honors), Phi Beta Kappa
Drake Law School professor since 1991
Visiting professor at Nanjing University, China
Fordham & Starrett in Boston, MA
Charnetski, Olsen, Lacina & Pendleton in Grinnell, IA
Clerk for The Hon. Hugh H. Bownes of the U.S. Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- Scrutinizing Polygamy: Utah’s Brown v. Buhman and British Columbia’s Reference Re: Section 293, 64 Emory Law Journal 1815 (2015).
- An Ethical Rabbit Hole: Model Rule 4.4, Intentional Interference with Former Employee Non-Disclosure Agreements and the Threat of Disqualification, Part I, 89 Nebraska Law Review 923 (2011); Part II, 90 Nebraska Law Review 141 (2011).
- Foreword to Same-Sex Marriage Symposium, 58 Drake Law Review 101 (2010).
- Privilege Can Be Abused: Exploring the Ethical Obligation to Avoid Frivolous Claims of Attorney-Client Privilege, 37 Seton Hall L. Rev. 413 (2007).
- The Crime of Polygamy, 12 Temple Political and Civil Rights Law Review 353 (2003).
- Presenter: Why the US Should Not Decriminalize Polygamy, But Should Not Criminalize Polyamory (Conference On Polygamy, Polygyny, and Polyamory, Hadassah Brandeis Institute, Waltham, MA, Nov. 8, 2010).
- Presenter: Feminist and Hegelian Perspectives on the Legal Status of Polygamy, Polyamory and Same-Sex Marriage (Drake Center for the Humanities Colloquium Series, Des Moines, IA, March 26, 2010).
- Presenter: Strange Bedfellows Indeed: Same-sex Marriage, Mormon Fundamentalist Polygamy, and the Oneida Community (Annual Conference for the Association for the Law, Culture and Humanities, Berkeley, CA, March 29, 2008).
- Member of the Same-Sex Marriage, Kansas City Gay and Lesbian Bar Association
- Board Member of the Iowa Pride Network and the Galaxy Youth Center