Russell Lovell II Profile
Professor Emeritus of Law
Areas of Expertise
Civil Rights, Employment Discrimination, Remedies, First-Year Trial Practicum, Constitutional Litigation
B.B.A. – University of Notre Dame, cum laude
JD – University of Nebraska with distinction, Order of the Coif; Research Editor, Nebraska Law Review
LL.M. – University of Missouri-Kansas City
Drake Law Professor, 1976-2014
Associate Dean, Drake Law School, 2004-2010 and 1987-1991
Director, Clinical Programs, Drake Law School, 1995-1999
Director, First-Year Trial Practicum, Drake Law School, 1998-2011
Director of Litigation, Indiana Center on Law & Poverty
Director of Litigation, Legal Services of Indianapolis
Law Clerk, Hon. Floyd Gibson, U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Cir.
Director, Public Service Scholarship Program, 1995-2014
- Due Process in Solitary Confinement: It's Time to Overrule Sandin and Revise Wilkinson, 101 Neb. L. Rev. 487 (2023).
- In Celebration of Morrissey v. Brewer at Fifty: A Surprising University of Nebraska College of Law Back Story to the Prisoners' Rights Due Process Landmark, 100 Neb. L. Rev. 905 (2022).
- Introduction: Celebrating the Drake Legal Clinic at 50! Drake Law Experiential Education at 157! 157-50! A Proud Tradition Since 1865, 70 Drake L. Rev. 1 (2022).
- The Hijacking: The Remnants of Morrissey-Wolff Due Process in Solitary Confinement After Sandin v. Conner, 101 Neb. L. Rev. 227 (2022).
- A Fair and Impartial Trial Free From Racial Discrimination Will Require An Across-The-Board Approach: Systemic Reforms Still Needed in Light of the "Other" Racial Justice Jury Trial Rulings in State v. Veal & State v. Williams, Drake Discourse Online Journal (2021).
- Achieving Fair Cross-Sections on Iowa Juries in the Post-Plain World: The Lilly-Veal-Williams Trilogy, 68 Drake L. Rev. 99 (2020).
- Shine On, You Bright Radical Star: Clark v. Board of School Directors (Of Muscatine)--The Iowa Supreme Court's Civil Rights Exceptionalism, 67 Drake L. Rev. 175 (2019).
- Trial Practicum Integral to First-year Law School Curriculum, 90 Judicature 114 (Nov.-Dec. 2003).
- The First-Year Trial Practicum Engages Students in Actual Jury Trial, Innovative Education, ABA Syllabus 16-17.
- The University of Michigan Cases: Affirmative Action at the Cross Roads, 51 Drake L. Rev. 667 (2003).
- Court Awarded Attorney's Fees: Examining Issues of Delay, Payment, and Risk (ABA 1999).
- Citizen of the Year, Iowa Juneteenth Observance, 2013
- Excellence in Service Award, Iowa Legal Aid, 2008
- Foot Soldiers in the Sand Award, National NAACP Convention, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 2005
- Trailblazer Award, NAACP 10-State West Central U.S. Region IV, 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education, Topeka, Kansas, 2003
- President's Award for Individual Community Service, Des Moines NAACP, 1988, 1999, 2004
- "Rose" from Des Moines Register editorial board, 2000 and 2005, for public service contributions
- Counsel of record, 14 reported civil rights cases, including desegregation of Indiana State Police and Des Moines Fire departments; set U.S. Supreme Court precedent in the Kansas City school desegregation that will encourage private attorneys to provide representation in civil rights cases to individuals who otherwise cannot afford an attorney
- Madelyn Levitt Distinguished Community Service Award, Drake University, 1998