Sheslow Grant for Music Competition
Students who are interested in applying for the Sheslow Grant should follow this procedure. These funds are reserved for special and significant opportunities that are not part of the regular on-going academic programming at Drake.
On 1-2 pages, indicate who will travel and the nature of the proposed travel for a significant music competition.
- Briefly describe the performing arts competition.
- Indicate how the activity is related to learning goals in an individual class or in your major program at Drake University.
- Secure a recommendation from the faculty member who is supervising the performance.
- Submit the materials to the Music Department Chair with a brief budget indicating the expenses to be covered by the Sheslow Grant. Make sure to indicate all the possible sources of funding that you have available for the project or travel.
- Note that individual award amounts may be limited in order to serve a larger number of students; thus students should look for additional funding resources to complete their proposed activity. Deadlines for proposals each semester: October 15 and February 15, although if funds are available, projects will be considered for proposals made after these deadlines.
The Dean and Music Department Chair will meet to discuss and approve the awards. Decisions will be based on the following:
- Quality of the proposed project
- Significant nature of the opportunity
- Amount of support available to the student from other sources
Following a successful award, students will be required to submit a brief report on their experiences indicating:
- the use of funds with receipts attached for expenses,
- the quality of the performance/competition activity and what they derived from it. The report is due to the Music Department Chair no later than one month after the completion of the funded activity.