About the College
With 40 majors in the natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, and fine arts, the College of Arts and Sciences spans a vast territory of human knowledge and provides the foundation of the liberal arts at Drake.
Your experience in the college will combine breadth and depth—exposure to an impressive range of ideas and thorough immersion in fascinating projects.
Whatever your area of interest, you will learn to write well, to think critically and creatively, to pose powerful questions, and to search out the answers, gaining exceptional preparation for future success.
By the numbers:
- Over 70 percent of classes in the College of Arts and Sciences have fewer than 20 students, allowing for personal attention and participatory discussions.
- 98.9 percent of Arts and Sciences graduates (2015-2016) found career employment or entered graduate school within six months of receiving their degree.
- The College of Arts and Sciences offers the greatest range of subjects found at Drake: 40 majors, 30 minors, 9 concentrations
- Arts and Sciences alumni are working in all 50 states, as well as internationally. See their Success After Drake stories.
- Three College of Arts and Sciences students were awarded prestigious Fulbright Scholarships to teach English in Bulgaria, Malaysia, and Indonesia in 2017-2018. Historically, Drake University has been one of the top institutional producers of Fulbright Scholars, with 30 Fulbright scholars in the past decade— of whom 23 were humanities and social science majors.
- In the last two academic years, four Arts and Sciences students have received the Goldwater Foundation Scholarship, the premier undergraduate award for future scientists, mathematicians, and engineers.
- Nearly 94 percent of Drake students graduate having had at least one internship, assistantship, on-site practicum, or field experience.
- Arts & Sciences students studied abroad in 28 different countries during the 2016-2017 academic year.