Golf: For Business and Life
Fall 2014 Application deadline: August 27, 2014
Class registration is currently closed for fall 2014.
- Our first session will be Wednesday, September 3rd and lessons will begin the week of September 8th. There will be 10 weeks of lessons. Lessons will not be held during Fall Break.
- Juniors, Seniors & Graduate students with little or no golf experience (Sophomores & Freshmen may apply - priority given to upperclassmen)
- 10 lessons and 6 classroom lectures
- Various local business leaders will speak throughout the semester
- Fee: $75 per student
- Group lessons will be taught at Longview Golf Centre in the Dome in Grimes, Iowa. This is about a 15-20 minute drive from Drake's campus.
- Lessons will be taught by Lori Gaffney-Burmeister, LPGA Class A Head Professional. Lori has been teaching as a professional at Longview She was chosen as one of the Top 50 Golf Instructors in the country by Golf for Women Magazine since 1989.
At the conclusion of the class you will play a 9-hole best ball format free of charge.
What you will get out of the class
- Develop an appreciation and knowledge of golf history and origin
- Perform golf skills (full swing, pitching, chipping and putting) with proficiency
- Enjoy and appreciate golf’s contributions to personal exercise and pleasure
- Learn and apply golf terminology, rules, and etiquette
- Play a 9-hole round of golf
- To use safety precautions on the practice area and golf course
- Create the desire and skills so you can become avid golfers
- Listen to various local business leaders speak on the importance of using golf as a business tool.
This non-credit course is 2 parts. The first part is 10 group golf lessons and then a small best ball outing. You will choose which golf time works for you, Monday or Tuesday evenings.
The second part is 6 classroom speakers that will discuss the importance of golf in the business world. These sessions will be on various Wednesday evenings 6pm-7pm throughout the semester.
You must be available for both parts of the class in order to participate.
- In September 2006, Zach Johnson played on the U.S. Ryder Cup team in Ireland. Each team member is given money from The PGA of America to start a Golf: For Business and Life program at the university of his choice. Zach selected his alma mater, Drake University, as the recipient.
For more information, please contact Johanna Determann at email@example.com or 271-4627.
For more information on the PGA, click here.