Golf: For Business and Life
Class registration is open for Fall 2016. More information will be posted soon. Deadline for applications is August 19. Application
- Our first meeting will be on Tuesday, August 30 at 5:30pm and lessons will begin on Wednesday, September 7. There will be 8 weeks of lessons.
- Juniors, Seniors & Graduate students with little or no golf experience (Sophomores & Freshmen may apply - priority given to upperclassmen)
- 7-10 lessons and 4 classroom lectures
- Various local business leaders will speak throughout the semester
- Fee: $75 per student
- Group lessons will be taught at Glen Oaks Country Club. This ia about a 20-25 minute drive from Drake's campus.
- Lessons will be taught by Lori Gaffney-Burmeister, LPGA Class A Head Professional. She was chosen as one of the Top 50 Golf Instructors in the country by Golf for Women Magazine since 1989.
Towards the end of the class you will play a 9-hole best ball format free of charge.
What you will get out of the class
- Develop an appreciation and knowledge of golf history and origin
- Perform golf skills (full swing, pitching, chipping and putting) with proficiency
- Enjoy and appreciate golf’s contributions to personal exercise and pleasure
- Learn and apply golf terminology, rules, and etiquette
- Play a 9-hole round of golf
- To use safety precautions on the practice area and golf course
- Create the desire and skills so you can become avid golfers
- Listen to various local business leaders speak on the importance of using golf as a business tool.
This non-credit course is 2 parts. The first part is group golf lessons and then a small best ball outing. You will choose which golf time works for you, Wednesday or Thursday evenings.
The second part is 4 classroom speakers that will discuss the importance of golf in the business world. These sessions will be on various Tuesday evenings 5:30-6:30pm throughout the semester.
You must be available for both parts of the class in order to participate.
- In September 2006, Zach Johnson played on the U.S. Ryder Cup team in Ireland. Each team member is given money from The PGA of America to start a Golf: For Business and Life program at the university of his choice. Zach selected his alma mater, Drake University, as the recipient.
For more information, please contact Lisa Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 271-4710.
For more information on the PGA, click here.