Middle School Endorsement
This program completes an endorsement for middle school (grades five through eight) in the state of Iowa. The holder of this endorsement is authorized to teach ALL subjects in grades five through eight with the following exceptions
- Industrial Arts
- Physical Education
- Special Education
The middle school endorsement is an add-on endorsement to the Iowa General Elementary Endorsement (K-6) license or the Iowa Secondary Level Endorsements (7-12). The candidate for this endorsement must currently hold either a valid Iowa teacher's license at the elementary or secondary level, or is currently seeking endorsement at the elementary or secondary level.
Transfer credits are allowed and a Drake advisor will review transcripts and make recommendations for program completion.
Core Course Information. Additional coursework is needed for the complete Iowa license for Middle School educators. Previous undergraduate and graduate hours can be counted toward the endorsement. We offer online the two courses that most educators need to complete this process.
- EDUC 131/231: Early Adolescent Growth & Development This course is designed for teachers looking to enhance their understanding of middle level learners (grades 5-8). In addition to exploring the remarkable physical and cognitive changes that early adolescents experience at this time, students will explore best practices for supporting the healthy academic and psychological development of middle school students.
- EDUC 134/234: Teaching in the Middle School This course is designed to help teachers apply their knowledge of early adolescent learners when planning and implementing instruction in the middle school setting. Special attention will be given to concept-based unit design, project-based instruction, and performance-based assessment.
Additional Requirements. In addition to the core courses, a minimum of 17 hours of coursework must be completed in two of the following content areas:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
For individuals seeking the Middle School endorsement in the State of Illinois, requirements for this program are identified below:
- Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis; therefore, it is requested that all materials be submitted approximately 8 weeks prior to the beginning of the intended start-term.
- Upon the receipt of transcripts, an advisor will complete a transcript evaluation in order to determine any credit or course substitutions/transfers.
- In order to begin the application process, please click the “Apply Now” link above. This link will provide you application requirements. Questions regarding the application process can be forwarded to the Coordinator of Graduate Admission at email@example.com or 515-271-2552.
Todd Hodgkinson, PhD
Assistant Professor, Teaching & Learning