Skip Sub Menu

Types of Credit

Courses taken on any type of program, whether it be a Drake Program, Exchange, Direct Enroll, or Affiliate Program; can apply to a students’ major, minor, or concentration within their degree plan. 

This means that all types of study abroad programs can apply toward graduation requirements. Students can also take courses that they can count toward unfulfilled AOIs (Drake’s “gen ed” requirements, like Art or History courses).  

Students participating in Drake Programs will earn Drake credits and grades, which will be represented on their official Drake University transcript. Drake Programs are led by Drake faculty and staff members, so the courses are considered official Drake University courses, just taught in an international setting instead of in Des Moines, Iowa. Students who join a Drake Program will earn a grade that is also factored into their Drake GPA.   

Students participating in Exchange, Affiliate, or Direct Enroll Programs will earn transfer credit. The courses and grades will appear as transfer credit on the Drake University transcript, but will not be incorporated into the student’s Drake GPA. Even though the courses are transfer credit, they can still apply toward major, minor, and/or concentration requirements, including toward AOIs. Your Academic Advisor determines how courses will transfer back to Drake, and then notifies your College or School’s Dean’s Office, as well as Drake’s Registrar’s Office.