Skip Sub Menu

Using Financial Aid

Many students who study abroad do so with assistance from various forms of financial aid. Students who qualify for federal, state or institutional aid in the form of grants, loans, or scholarships through Drake University may apply awards from the Financial Aid Office toward study abroad, provided that they are enrolled in an approved program through Drake’s Global Engagement office. Students are urged to educate themselves about their own particular situation and their eligibility for minimum and maximum awards while choosing a study abroad program.

Any study abroad student who wishes to receive financial aid is encouraged to make an appointment with the Financial Aid Office ( / 515-271-2905) to discuss options and processes. Come prepared to the appointment with the study abroad program cost information. Program costs can be found online on each program brochure page, either directly on the program brochure, or under the 'Budget Sheet' section.

Types of Aid Available

The following types of aid may be awarded by the Financial Aid Office:

  • Drake Scholarships and Awards
  • Drake Grants
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Iowa Tuition Grant
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans for Graduate Students
  • Private Student Loans
  • Health Professions Loan (HPL)
  • Outside Scholarships
Other Types of Aid Available

Students can also apply for scholarships for education abroad programs through the Drake Global Engagement office or through other external sources for scholarships:

Using Federal Financial Aid for Study Abroad

If you would like to utilize federal financial aid, you will need to fill out your FAFSA & apply to a study abroad program. If you have not done so already, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have any questions about completing the FAFSA, and to ensure you have a complete financial aid application. 

Financial Aid for the Year Following Study Abroad

Students who want to receive financial aid for the academic year following study abroad may be required to apply while they are abroad. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed every year, even if you received Financial Aid during the previous year.