Legislative Practice Center Internships
Drake Law School alumni with Legislative Practice Certificates who currently work in state government.
Drake Law School is five minutes from the Iowa State Capitol, providing numerous opportunities for internships in legislation, lobbying, and more.
The Legislative Practice Center arranges internships to give students practical experience and learn first-hand how the law-making process works.
Internships focus on lobbying, drafting bills and amendments, analyzing legislation, helping with budget preparations, monitoring administrative rules, and more.
Students can intern at the Office of the Governor of Iowa, Department of Natural Resources, Legislative Service Bureau, and the Office of the Secretary of Agriculture, to name a few.
Internship placement is based on students' preferences and may include criteria such as party affiliation, subject area of interest, and preference for House or Senate.
Most second-year students are placed with a chair, vice chair or ranking member of a committee of their choice. Every effort is made to place students in internships where their abilities will be fully utilized.
Third-year students are placed with organizations such as Iowa Economic Authority, Senate Democratic Caucus, Iowa Environmental Council, and Iowa Finance Authority as well as independent internships at the Capitol.
- Senator Bill Anderson, ranking member of the Senate Commerce Committee
- Representative Marti Anderson
- Representative Chip Baltimore, chair of the House Judiciary Committee
- Senator Joe Bolkcom, chair of the Senate Ways and Means Committee and Senate Majority Whip
- Senator Jeff Danielson, chair of the Senate State Government Committee
- Senator Bob Dvorsky, chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee
- Senator Randy Feenstra, ranking member of the Senate Ways and Means Committee
- Representative Mary Gaskill, Assistant Minority Leader
- Representative Lisa Heddens, ranking member of the Health and Human Services Appropriations Subcommittee
- Representative Megan Jones, chair of the Environmental Protection Committee
- Senator Rob Hogg, chair of the Senate Government Oversight Committee
- Representative Ron Jorgensen, chair of the House Education Committee
- Representative Jo Oldson, ranking member of the Commerce Committee
- Representative Dawn Pettengill, chair of the Administrative Rules Review Committee
- Senator Charles Schneider, ranking member of the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Senator Steve Sodders, chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Senator Jack Whitver, Senate Republican Whip
- Senator Dan Zumbach, ranking member of the Senate Agriculture Committee
- Avenson, Oakley & Cope – Consultants for government affairs
- Cornerstone Government Affairs
- Drake Joan and Lyle Middleton Center for Children's Rights
- Eide & Heisinger, LLC – Iowa lobbying and government relations
- Innocence Project of Iowa
- Iowa Association of Business and Industry
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources
- Iowa Economic Development Authority
- Iowa Environmental Council
- Iowa Governor's Office
- Iowa Hospital Association
- Iowa House Democratic Caucus Staff
- Iowa House Republican Caucus Staff
- Iowa Legislative Services Agency
- Iowa Secretary of State
- Iowa Senate Democratic Caucus Staff
- Iowa Senate Republican Caucus Staff
- Iowa State Education Association
- Office of Iowa Citizens' Aide/Ombudsman
- Planned Parenthood of Iowa
- PolicyWorks – Regulatory compliance and government and public affairs
Internships are also available outside of Iowa. Students interested in exploring opportunities in other legislative settings—such as Washington, D.C.—can do so with prior approval and arrangements.
For more information, contact Julie Smith, director of the Legislative Practice Center, at email@example.com.