Important Move Out Information
Hall Closing Information and Expectations will be posted at the beginning of May in the halls on the resident floors and in the main hall lobby. The information below is several key points of knowledge.
End of the academic year hall closing dates and times:
- Carpenter, Crawford, Herriott, Stalnaker Halls (first-year experience) - Spring Semester Closing (FYE): Friday, May 12, 2023, at 5:00 pm.
- Goodwin-Kirk, Jewett, and Morehouse (upper-class experience) - Spring Semester Closing (UCE): Saturday, May 13, 2023, at 5:00 pm.
Interim Hall Opens: Friday, May 12, 2023, at 5:00 pm. Contact the Office of Residence Life for more information.
Other points of information to consider as you plan your students move out.
Mail and Packages:
The student should contact and change their address with Amazon, their bank, credit card company, doctors/dentist/medical professionals, or businesses they regularly order from and any other entities of importance.
Mail and Packages from the school year WILL NOT be forwarded to residents. All 1st-class mail will be returned to sender, bulk/junk mail will be discarded/recycled.
Shipping things to their residence hall for Fall 2023 – mail and packages should NOT arrive any earlier than Monday, August 21, 2023. The items will be denied and returned otherwise.
Move Out time:
- Students are not required to register for a move-out time slot.
- An Express Checkout Form will be used for the Spring semester move out by residents (just like at the end of the Fall semester).
- Should a resident want to check out in-person with their RA, they will need to make the arrangements with their Resident Assistant (RA) a minimum of 24 hours in advance for a mutually agreeable check-out time.
- The Express Checkout Form will be returned to their residence hall front desk (along with their room key) to the designated location.
Not returning to Drake for the next year:
- Submit a change of address on the students myDRAKE account.
To submit a change of address with Drake go to the students myDrake account, then to their “My Drake Profile” and then to “My Information”.
- If you are not returning and registered for classes for Fall 2023, contact your academic advisor/academic department to notify them and cancel your class requests through your myDrake, through “Classes and Registration”.
- To cancel your housing contract if you signed up for housing for the 2023-2024 academic year go to your myDrake account, click on the Fork and Knife icon, in Campus Resources, click on the Application Cancel button.
- The deadline to cancel their housing contract for their housing deposit refund (minus any fees/costs) is May 1, 2023.
After this date the students housing deposit will be forfeited.
- Students will need to leave the clean room, and furniture is placed back in its original condition, location, AND bed height like when they moved in, or they will be charged for the cleaning/placement. The furniture reset fee is $45.00.
- Commonly assessed room cleaning fees: room vacuumed-$29.46; bed railing missing-$45.00; Tape/Decal Removal-$29.46-$41.24 each; Painting of a wall-$82.47, touch up-$58.91 and Improper Checkout Fee-$25.00.
All students will need to return their room key upon their departure/move out. Failure to do so will result in a $50.00 lock change fee being assessed to their Student Account, as well as a $25.00 Improper Checkout Fee.
Keys should be returned by the resident to their residence hall front desk and deposited in the designated location. Late keys will not be accepted after hall closing.
There is no storage on the Drake University campus. However, should the student want to exercise storage options in the Des Moines Community – some local options could be: Affordable Family Storage; CubeSmart Self-Storage; Storage Mart and U-Haul Moving and Storage.
Storage and Shipping could be considered by using: DormRoomMovers.com/Simplified.
*Drake University does not support or endorse any of the companies noted. These are some options as resource.